Dam & Loch
Clatteringshaws Loch reservoir was created 1929-1935
over the Black Water of Dee to feed Glenlee Power Station via a 3.5mi/5.63km tunnel,
370ft/113m below. Clatteringshaws Dam is the largest on the Galloway Hydro
Electric Scheme, a gravity structure 1562ft/476m long.
Below the dam, next to the A712 bridge is the
original Dee Bridge (1790). The ruins of an earlier
bridge (c.1703) are submerged by the reservoir.
Clatteringshaws Dam Quarry is a site of special
West of Clatteringshaws is White Cairn, a burial
cairn on the Rig of Drumwhar; nearby is Lillie’s Loch.
Galloway Hills around the loch area include Millfore (2152ft/656m) and Meikle Millyea (2448ft/746m).
On Darnaw Hill
(1548ft/472m) there is a memorial to the Daily Express ‘Dragon Fly’ plane
that crashed in 1937 with the loss of 4 lives.
Visitor Centre. Tel: 01644 420285
The Visitor Centre has been refurbished and will open for the summer season
on 22nd March 2014.
Clatteringshaws Visitor Centre has a car park
(chargeable), souvenir shop, tearoom, toilets and an excellent interpretive
centre, explaining all about the wildlife of the Galloway Forest Park. In the
porch is a fine stained glass (‘The Hills of Home’) by B Thomas; it was made
for just the cost of the materials.
Details of changes to the Visitor Centre to be advised in September.
Information boards in car park.
Close to the centre is a reconstruction of a 1st-2nd
century iron-age roundhouse.
Opposite the Centre is the start of the cycle route
and track leading up to Benniguinea viewpoint (1269ft/387m).
The wooden bungalow east of the Visitor Centre is the
School, closed in 1947.
The car park is a short walk from the loch.
The tall conical art construction built by Colin Rose (1997) and named ‘Eye’;
it is covered with a mosaic of small pieces of stone. A further 5-7 minutes
walk along the Old Edinburgh Road leads to the Grey Mare’s Tail burn,
with the ‘Quorum’ Stone Head carvings on the left (within a complex of sheep
pens); and the Grey Mare’s Tail waterfall on the right - with further
cascades higher up. Further on is the
‘Prolonged Exposure’ artwork.
Northeast of Black Loch,
the Tonderghie Burn may be crossed by rough
stepping-stones; upstream is a fine waterfall.
A National Trust for Scotland
site. This stone is on Moss Raploch is where King
Robert the Bruce is said to have rested after defeating the English here in
The battlefield site near Craignell
is submerged by the reservoir.
There is also a Bruce’s Stone at Glen Trool that
commemorates the Battle
of Trool (also in 1307).
A former farm and hunting lodge then an outdoor
activity centre; it is now a private house. A car park on the forest road
below the lodge is a suitable starting point for the 1-hour walk to Loch Dee.
A 25 to 38 mile marked route around Loch Ken
with the summer (April-October) route including Clatteringshaws Visitor
Centre and Raiders Road. Red Kite viewing and information areas -
the nearest to Clatteringshaws being at Bennan Hill Viewpoint, near the
eastern end of the Raiders Road.
Ancient Whithorn pilgrims’ way from the
Queen’s Way (Clatteringshaws Forestry Depot), later descending from
800ft/244m down to Glenlee.
of the Bar
Car park, information board, picnic site and
overhang-viewpoint on the A712 southwest of Talnotry.
Mare’s Tail (Talnotry Waterfall)
Loup (visible from the car park on the A712) and Grey Mare’s Tail are two of
a series of waterfalls along the Grey Mare’s Tail Burn.
A marked trail (on the opposite side of the burn to the car park), lead up to
the Stone Heads carvings and the Grey Mare’s Tail, although easier access is
via Black Loch (see above).
lead and nickel mines in the area.
Galloway Wildlife Trail information board at Grey Mare’s Tail/Murray’s
Monument car park.
Dee is a scenic Galloway hill loch with
views across the Silver Flowe to Craignaw and
Dungeon Hill. The shoreline has several fine beaches.
Laggan, a former steading under the slopes of Curly Wee, is now a bothy for
the Southern Upland Way.
Loch Dee is by forest track/cycle track/Southern Upland
Way. The nearest car parks are at [a] Craigencallie, situated at the end of
road via Craignell (west side of Clatteringshaws):
about 2.8 mi/4.5km; and [b] Bruce’s Stone, Glentrool: about 4 mi/6.4km via Glenhead.
by forest tracks and cycle route south of the Queen’s Way. Small sandy
beaches are made up of moraine deposits. At the northern end of the loch is
Eagles Isle, an Iron Age crannog.
shooting lodge at the south end is approached by a track that runs above a
small ravine (vehicles not permitted beyond gate before ravine). On the east
side of the track is a memorial to “Maggie”, the last packhorse.
obelisk (1835) commemorates Alexander Murray, the shepherd boy who became a
professor of Oriental Languages in 1812 and died the following year age 37.
path leads up from the Grey Mare’s Tail/Murray’s Monument car park to the
obelisk for fine views.
To the east
near Craigdews (south side of A712), are the
remains of Dunkitterick Cottage, Murray’s birthplace. A new path from the small car park meanders
via the burn to the site.
Cycle Route (Lochs & Glens Cycle Route) and National Byway
section of National Cycle Route 7 has a mainly off-road alternative section
through the Galloway Forest Park between Glen Trool and Gatehouse Station.
This wild and remote 24.5mi/39.4km alternative route passes Loch Trool, Glenhead, Loch Dee, Clatteringshaws Loch (west side), Loch Grannoch and the Big Water of Fleet Viaduct.
National Byway cycle route runs for 194mi/121km in Dumfries & Galloway,
and passes through the Glenkens and Clatteringshaws area via Dalry, Gatehill Road and
17mi/27km scenic road (A712) between New Galloway and Newton Stewart. Named
for the Queen’s Silver Jubilee in 1977 by the then Princess Anne.
The Raiders Road is due to open for the summer season on 28th
This is a
seasonal 10mi/16km two-way forest drive (£2 toll) between the A712 (below the
Clatteringshaws Dam) to the A762 at Bennan near Mossdale. It winds along the
banks of the Black Water of Dee. This route
was popularised by S R Crocket in his 1894 novel of cattle rustling entitled
Picnic site has a short riverside walks and the strenuous 1.5mi/2.4km
Clatteringshaws Fell walk.
’The Path’ is a 50 metre labyrinth by Jim Buchanan.
Pool has a car park, picnic site and toilets. Otter statue by Gilliam Forbes.
has a car park and picnic site by the Stroan Viaduct that once carried the
‘Port Line’ (Dumfries-Stranraer railway line). Walks include a 1.5mi/2.4km Riverside Walk
and the 2mi/3.2km strenuous Buzzard Walk via the remains of Clachrum village and ‘Seats’ an artwork by John Crosbie. Coarse
fishing is available on the loch.
Red Deer Range (Brookloch)
short walk from the car park on the A712 leads to viewing areas. Guided tours operated during the summer
Beside the car park is the John McDonald memorial; he was a ganging-body
(itinerant work) who died 1878 by the old Brockloch Bridge. When the bridge
was replaced in the late 1970s this memorial was built to house the former
A 212mi/341km long distance walking route from Portpatrick to Cocksburnspath.
The long 22.5mi/36.2km Bargrennan/Glen Trool to Dalry section passes Loch Dee
then later the north west
side of Clatteringshaws Loch. From the Garrary Road it continues eastward via Clenrie and Garroch to Dalry.
trails, providing fine views, start from the small parking area off the A712
(between Grey Mare’s Tail/Murray’s Monument car park and Glen of the Bar).
Trails include the Grey Mare’s Tail, stone head carvings (see Black Loch) and
Mine (no access) is a site of special scientific interest.
Wild Goat Park
Since 1970, captured feral goats have been released within this enclosure,
where they can be seen and can do no damage to the trees and rare upland
plants species of the Forest Park. The enclosure boundary is by the A712 and
has a car park for viewing.
For full information on events in Galloway Forest Park for 2014 see Forestry Commission - Galloway Forest Park Events
LINKS TO SELECTED WEBSITES
The Bruce Hotel, Newton Stewart
CatStrand (Glenkens Community
& Arts Trust)
Clatteringshaws area map (Multimap)
Clatteringshaws weather: Craigencallie (Weather Ch)
Dumfries & Galloway Accommodation Directory: New
Galloway: Gazetteer with summary of places of interest
& Galloway On Line
& Galloway Tourist Board
Dumfries & Galloway Visitors Guide
Fishing in Scotland: Clatteringshaws area
Commission: Dark Skies in Galloway Forest Park
Forestry Commission: Galloway Forest Park
Galloway Kite Trail
Galloway Mountain Rescue Team
Glenkens Business Association (Tourist Info & business
Hill Walking in South West Scotland
Kirkcudbright Community Website: Galloway Hydros
National Trust for
New Galloway Golf Club
Robert the Bruce Commemoration Trust, Dumfries
Scottish Power: The Tongland Tour
Southern Upland Way (SUW Ltd)
Sustrans: National Cycle Network
Walking Wild Scotland
Visit Southern Scotland (SUW Ltd)
Last update 5 February 2014