KEIR MILL 78 : NX 8593 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 41)
Small village founded late C18.
Courthill Smithy: Birthplace of Kirkpatrick Macmillan, the inventor of the mechanical bicycle in 1839. Commemorative plaque.
Keir Mill (1771): A watermill much altered on conversion to a house, but retains its scrolled skewputts.
Old Churchyard: Site of the small old
Also see Auldgirth, Barjarg, Carronbridge, Closeburn, Drumlanrig, Gatelawbridge, Glenmidge, Kirkland, Marrburn, Penpont, Scaur Water Glen, Thornhill, Tynron, Wallaceton.
KETTLEHOLM and CASTLEMILK 85 : NY 1476 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 87)
Kettleholm is a small estate village for Castlemilk with late Georgian and limewashed houses, and a Wren style Village Hall (1907-8).
Castlemilk (1864-70): Lavish large baronial house with drum tower built on an ancient site of castle or tower-house. Castlemilk has a sumptuous interior in the Jacobean style.
Castlemilk Estate: Baronial stable block, fountain, walled garden, two Tudor lodges and baronial bridge on S drive – all c.1870.
Nutholm Hill: Archaeological sites of a fort, and (SW) a settlement..
St Mungo Parish Church (1875-7): The third parish church, built in late Scots Gothic. Interior is broad space under a magnificent elaborate open roof.
St Mungo School (1841-2): The second parish church, it was converted to a school in 1876-7.
SW. Kirkbank: Remains of St Mungo’s Church (1754), converted to a burial enclosure c.1880. The churchyard contains 2 war graves (CWGC) and a few early C18 headstones.
see Bankshill, Brydekirk, Burnswark Hill, Carrutherstown,
KIPPFORD or SCAUR 84 : NX 8355 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 155)
Fine setting on the Urr estuary. Once a ship-repair centre, Kippford is now a boat/sailing centre.
Coastguard surface craft base and Lifeboat Station (1966) with a D class lifeboat.
Craigieknowes Golf Club: A parkland/coastal 9-hole course.
Jubilee Path (NTS): A 1mi/1.6km coastal path to Rockcliffe passes the Mote of Mark
(NTS) with access to
Kipp House (C19): The Lodge or villa is built to a 2-storey elongated octagonal plan.
NE. Moyle Hill: Archaeological site of an Iron Age hill fort
Also see Buittle, Colvend, Dalbeattie, Rockcliffe, Sandyhills.
KIRKANDREWS 83 : NX 6048 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 164)
A&C houses (opposite churchyard): Probably the work of James Brown. Also see Carrick Shore.
Barn Heugh: Archaeological site of a fort.
Borgue Coast: Kirkandrews E to Brighouse Bay
is an SSSI protected area. Also see
Castle Haven: C1 Iron Age dun (with boat landing) restored in 1905 by James Brown. The dun has 3 galleries linked by six doorways to the interior.
Chapel (1906): A James Brown building with top-heavy battlements, buttresses, portcullis doorway with internal bell, and lych-gate.
Churchyard: Burial enclosures walls incorporate the foundations of a medieval parish church (closed 1649); Covenanter’s stone; grave of poet William Nicholson; 1 war grave.
Corseyard (1911-14): Decaying James Brown model dairy/farmstead.
Known locally as the Coo or
Corseyard buildings: Italianate nave milking-parlour. Campanile water tower. Egyptian trough. Vegetable garden keyhole gate.
Rattra: NE of Rattra Farm in Wee Croft field is the site of the
old town or
Roberton Motte (c.C12): Archaeological site of a motte, formed by cutting a ditch through a bank overlooking the Pulwhirrin Burn.
S. Muncraig Heugh: Archaeological site of a ditched settlement abutting onto steep cliffs. NW is a another possible site of a settlement.
Also see Boreland of
KIRKBEAN 84 : NX 9759 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 135)
Cavens (1752): Former manor house now a country house hotel, set within 6-acres/2.43-hectare of parkland.
Criffel House (E of): Extant surface features of a ROC underground monitoring post (1959-91).
Parish Churchyard: Interesting headstones and table stones. Four war graves, under care of CWGC.
Woodside House (1796): Former manse, now a private dwelling.
N. Drumburn: Viewpoint CP. Red Squirrel carving.
NNE. Drummains Reedbed SWT.
Also see Arbigland, Carsethorn, Caulkerbush, New Abbey, Southerness.
KIRKCOLM 82 : NX 0368 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 94)
Situated on the W side of Loch Ryan, Kirkcolm was established in 1623 as burgh of barony (Stewarton). Re-established 1780s as a planned village.
Corsewall: Site of WW2 Marine Craft Training School 1942-46.
Corsewall House: Late-Georgian mansion with spine-wall chimneystacks, much altered mid-C19 and 1905.
Ervie & Kirkcolm Parish Churchyard: One war grave, under care of CWGC. 1920 statue of woman with a child to W of church. Also see Kilmorie Cross below.
Kilmorie or Kilmore Cross (C9-C10): Situated in churchyard. Carvings on both faces, one in Celtic, the other in rose-style.
The Wig: Flying boat/seaplane base in WW1 & WW2, only a slipway remains. West Galloway Wildlife Trail information board.
NNE. Clachan Heughs:
Also see Corsewall Point, Ervie, Leswalt, Lochnaw, Portencalzie, Stranraer.
KIRKCONNEL and KELLOHOLM 71 : NS 7312 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 8-9)
A former mining town and disadvantaged locality on the River Nith and edge of the Ayrshire coalfield, which grew from the late C19.
Deil’s Dyke: Slight remains and some extant features of the dyke lie to the E, S and W of Kirkconnel. Also see Deil’s Dyke.
Fauldhead Colliery produced coal with a high content of sulphur only suitable for steam trains. When steam finished, so did the colliery.
Kelloholm: Large model suburb, begun 1921 to house miners in better conditions. Further development after WW2.
Kelloside (c.1870): Gableted Tudor farmhouse with horizontal glazing.
Kirkconnel Cemetery: Alexander Anderson bust. Peter Rae Memorial. Six war graves, under care of CWGC.
Kirkconnel Parish Heritage Society: Heritage Base has collection of photos, archives, memorabilia and audio-visual system.
Mac’s Bar (1922): Originally a Jacobean style hall.
Miners’ Memorial (1984): Erected after the closure of the last pit in the area. Has a bronze bust of a miner.
Queensberry Arms Hotel (early-C19): One of Kirkconnel’s oldest buildings.
Roman camps: Possible sites of Roman road and camps at Bankhead
and also to W of the
St Conal RC Church (1921): Gentle Gothic church in white harl.
WNW. Glenmuckloch: Former open cast mine; coal was transported on the “Lochside Runner” a 7.6mi/12.2km conveyor belt (2007) to a railhead at New Cumnock (East Ayrshire).
NW. Lagrae Burn SSSI: Protected geological area.
WSW. McCrierick’s Cairn: Approved site of wind farm with 3 turbines. The larger wind farm with 20 online turbines to the west is Hare Hill in East Ayrshire.
W. Marchburn: D&G and East Ayrshire boundary on the A76. (Not to be confused with Marchburn boundary on the A77: See Cairnryan).
NW. Penachrig Burn: Modern Celtic stone cross 2.7m/8.9ft with inscription ‘St Conal 612-652’ on the base. Alleged site of St Conal, Connel or Connal’s grave.
W. Polhote & Polneul Burns SSSI: Protected geological area.
W. Rigg: Proposed open cast mine area with the “Lochside Runner” conveyor belt being extended about 1-5mi/2.4km from Glenmuckloch. Also see Glenmuckloch above.
E. Tower Farmhouse: Stands on the site of a tower or small fortalice occupied by the McCalls of Guffockland, mentioned in the C16-C18.
Also see Blackgannoch, Deil’s Dyke, Mennock, Sanquhar.
KIRKCONNELL FLOW 84 : NX 9770 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 109-110)
Craigs: Archaeological site of earthworks.
Kirkconnell Flow NNR & SSSI: Raised bogs on the flat coastal lands. CP with information point; footpath to picnic site.
Kirkconnell House: Laird’s house of complex development, its
nucleus being the 4-storyed
Kirkconnell Merse RSPB Nature Reserve: Covers a wide expanse of saltmarsh and mudflats. Not open to visitors. Also see Glencaple.
SSE. Airds Point: A small headland near the mouth of the River Nith.
see Cargenbridge, Dumfries, Islesteps,
KIRKCOWAN 82 : NX 3260 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 124)
Village situated near the convergence of the River Bladnoch and Tarf Water.
Linn of Barhoise: Waterfall on River Bladnoch; nearby is the archaeological site of Barhoise Cairn.
New Graveyard: Two war graves, under care of CWGC.
Oldland (N of): Extant surface features of a ROC underground monitoring post (1959-91), close by are remains of an Orlit observation post.
Railway (1861-1965): Traces of old ‘Port Line’ railway trackbed and Kirkcowan Station.
School (c.1900): Built in a mild A&C style.
Tarf Hotel (mainly C19): Formerly Kirkcowan Arms, picturesque in whinstone and render.
Tarf Woollen Mills: Previously a waulk mill (1821-1946); now ruined but still retains a tall octagonal red-and-white-brick chimney.
N. Barfad: Ring Moss (SSSI) is a protected area of wetlands.
NE. Barskeoch: Archaeological site of a large but mutilated cairn.
W. Craichlaw House: Victorian baronial mansion incorporated with C16 tower. The tower was rebuilt 1864, restored to C16 style in 1954 with a modern entrance on NW side.
NW. Fell End or Bizziard Fell: Archaeological site of three
NE. Shennanton: Archaeological site of a round but mutilated cairn.
NE. Shennanton House (1908): Large A&C Tudor villa with distinctive crazy-paving walls. Interior is Edwardian.
Also see Balminnoch,
KIRKCUDBRIGHT 83/84 : NX 6851 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 189)
Market town and Royal Burgh (1330) on the River Dee. Formerly the County Town of Kirkcudbrightshire (The Stewartry).
In late C19 there was an artists’ colony established here - the town being associated with many fine painters.
Tourist Information Centre,
Academy (From 1815): Classical building with clock tower, extended 1901 and 1958.
Barhill: Barhill Wood has CP and 3 waymarked walks.
Broughton House NTS (mid C18). E.A. Hornel house, exhibition of paintings and books, studio, fine Japanese style garden.
Burnside Loaning (N side): Site of Kirkcudbright Combination Poorhouse (1849). In 1930 is became a hospital and was demolished c.1950. Now a housing area.
Cannee (mid-C19): Informally grouped steading containing a C18 round windmill tower, later converted to a doocot.
Castledykes: Humps and hollows in riverside field are site of C13-C14 Kirkcudbright Castle.
Castle MacLellan Foods: Award winning food producer, established in 1982. Modern factory opened 1988.
Corn Mill (c.1800): Former town mill in
Coastguard: Solway Sector Maritime Search and Rescue offices. Rescue Station and Surface craft base.
Free Church (1872-4): Geometric Gothic flanked by SE steeple and NE stair tower. Now housing.
Harbour Square (1910): On the site of a filled in wet dock. Modern wood memorial carving of a waiting woman and child.
Kirkcudbright Creamery (1935): ‘Moderne’ front block. Closed down January 2010.
Kirkcudbright Golf Club (1893): A parkland 18-hole course with fine views.
Kirkcudbright Lifeboat Station: The station in Kirkcudbright is a
‘Crew Room’ only, the actual lifeboat house is south at
Kirkcudbright Station (1864-1965): Only former ticket office
exists (now a shop). A train failed to stop in 1963 and continued across
Kirkcudbright Swimming Pool with fitness suite.
MacLellan’s Castle HS (1581-2): A fortified building, the largest
town-house of its period in
Moat Brae: The original citadel of Kirkcudbright probably stood
on this mound which once extended past MacLellan’s Castle.
Railway (1864-1965): Traces of Kirkcudbright branch railway trackbed to N.
Andrew & St Cuthbert RC Church (1886): Simple Gothic style in the lane
St Cuthbert’s Cemetery: Adjoins old churchyard, the cemetery contains sixteen war graves and two non-war graves, under care of CWGC.
St Cuthbert’s Churchyard: Site of original church. Interesting items include a table-tomb, Covenanters’ graves and grave of William Marshall, age 120!
Selkirk Arms Hotel: Old coaching inn with C19 doorpiece. In the garden is a 1481-2 font, depicting a bird holding a leashed fox.
Tollbooth (1625-7 & 1642): Outside are iron ‘jougs’, Mercat cross (1610), well (1762-3), and a Battle of Trafalgar weather-vane (1805). Inside is now the Arts Centre.
Town Hall (1878-9): Tall Renaissance block.
United Associate Chapel (1822): Gothick style, the porch is a later addition. Now an antique dealers.
WM (1921): bronze of swordsman defending a crouching boy.
NNE. Carse Mote: See Tongland.
E. Castle Fergus: Remains of a building on Stable Isle, one of two mounds once surrounded by a Loch Fergus, may be the site of the early seat of Fergus, Lord of Galloway.
W. Kirkchrist Mote: Archaeological site with slight remains of a fort.
SSW. St Mary’s Isle: A peninsula with private grounds that include a heronry. Site of a great walled precinct of an Augustinian priory. Monk’s Well is now dry and disused.
W. The Stell: Slight remains of
Also see Bombie, Boreland of Borgue, Borgue, Bridge of Dee, Brighouse Bay, Dhoon Bay, Dundrennan, Girthon, Glengap, Rhonehouse & Kelton, Ringford, Tongland, Townhead, Twynholm, Whinnieliggate.
KIRKDALE 83 : NX 5153 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 149)
Kirkdale is situated on the scenic
Cairnholy Farm: Archaeological sites in the area (in addition to
Cairnholy Tombs HS (C3-C2 BC): Two notable Neolithic chambered
Cairnholy 1: A fragment of a jadeite axe (from the
Cairnholy 2: The sun shines directly through the entrance at sunrise of the Summer Solstice.
Kirkdale Churchyard: Remains of small medieval church that was united with Kirkmabreck 1618. Hannay Mausoleum, perhaps by R & J Adam..
Kirkdale Estate: Adam style buildings include an icehouse and neo-Egyptian bridge. Display of 6 C&Rs & 2 cross slabs.
Kirkdale House (1787-8): Robert Adam house. Front porch with Doric columns. Rear garden entrance with sweeping stair.
Kirkdale Mains (c.1790): Octagonal steading, perhaps by R & J Adam. To the N, a small detached ruin of a gazebo-like tower.
Kirkdale Sawmill: (c.1800): Recently restored, it is the best preserved in Galloway and retains its waterwheel. Nature walk.
Ravenshall Wood SSSI: Protected area of woodland.
Ravenshall Point: W on the coast is Dirk Hatteraick’s Cave; the smuggler captain in Scott’s “Guy Mannering”; the entrance has remains of an enclosing wall.
NNE: Cairnharrow Summit (456m/1496ft): Archaeological site of a grass covered cairn c.12m/39ft in diameter, upon which a modern marker cairn has been erected.
N. Claughreid Farm: Archaeological remains in the area include a stone circle (see below), cairn, C&Rs and a hut circle.
NNE. Claughreid Lane: To the E of the lane is an archaeological site of an outcrop of about 30 C&Rs.
E. Kirkclaugh: See Mossyard.
NNW. Kirkmuir: Several archaeological sites of C&Rs in the area.
Also see Cardoness, Carsluith, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, Mossyard.
KIRKGUNZEON 84 : NX 8666 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 108)
Small village on the stream known as the
Railway (1859-1965): Traces in the area of ‘Port Line’ trackbed, Kirkgunzeon Station was closed 1950 and is now a private residence.
ROC Post : Remains of an Orlit observation post near site of former ROC underground monitoring post (1961-68).
St Winning’s Well: A stone basin around a natural spring close to the old Kirkgunzeon Mill.
E. Breconside Hill: Archaeological sites in the area include a
S. Torkirra: Archaeological site of a fort and nearby a settlement.
Also see Beeswing, Buittle, Crocketford, Dalbeattie, Haugh of Urr, Lochfoot, Milton (Crocketford).
KIRKINNER and BRAEHEAD 83 : NX 4251 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 148)
Milldriggan Mill: Rebuilt early C19 as woollen mill, later corn mill, now in decay. The former large internal wheel was transferred to Mill on the Fleet: See Gatehouse of Fleet.
Parish Churchyard: Late C18 classical mausoleum of the Vans Agnews of Barnbarroch.
School (1880): Cruciform Tudor style school but spoilt by plastic windows. Monkey-puzzle tree in playground.
Wigtownshire Railway (1876-1964): Traces of trackbed and Kirkinner Station (closed 1950).
Also see Bladnoch, Causeway End, Culmalzie, Drumtroddan, Garlieston, Ravenstone, Sorbie, Whauphill, Wigtown.
KIRKLAND and MAXWELTON 78 : NX 8090 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 40)
Crawfordton (1863-6): A multi-faceted baronial building, a private school from 1940 to 2006.
Glencairn Parish Churchyard: Gables of the medieval church (C13-C17). Covenanter gravestones, burial enclosure, mausoleum. Five war graves under care of CWGC.
Old Manse (1840-1): At E end of village, the original manse is hidden in a well-treed garden.
Pump: Victorian pump standing at E of church and at end of terrace of cottages. The water flows from a lion’s mouth.
Maxwelton: Archaeological site of a motte situated in a clearing in a plantation. The oval summit measures 21.5m/70.5ft by 19m/62ft.
Maxwelton House (C17): Original name was
Maxwelton S.Ep Chapel (1868-9): Stocky Gothic chapel with well-preserved interior, built as a memorial to John Minet Laurie. Oak lych-gate (1884) with rhododendron path.
Old Crawfordton (late C17): Rubble farmhouse adjacent to the remains of Crawfordton tower house (C16). Archaeological sites nearby: burnt mounds, cairn & a settlement.
E. Maxwelton Hill: Viewpoint of Glen Cairn.
SW. Ingleston Mains: Martyr’s Stone just N of farmhouse commemorates 5 Covenanters who were shot in the farmyard April 28 1685.
Also see Castlefairn, Dalwhat Glen, Dunscore, Keir Mill, Moniaive, Penpont, Shinnel Glen, Thornhill, Tynron, Wallaceton.
KIRKMADRINE 82 : NX 0848 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 158)
Site of one of the earliest Christian communities in
Kirkmadrine Burial Ground: Walled ground that originally surrounded Toskerton parish church.
Kirkmadrine Stones HS (from C5): Fine sculptured Christian stones displayed in glass-fronted W porch of the chapel or aisle.
SW. Kenmuir Graves: Archaeological site of a fort with an
entrance causeway stands on the step-sided promontory known as Island Buoy on
the S side of
Also see Ardwell, Cairngarroch, Clachanmore, Knockinaam, Port Logan, Sandhead, Stoneykirk, Terally, West Freugh.
KIRKPATRICK DURHAM 84 : NX 7870 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 106)
Established c.1785 by a local minister who used a legacy to acquire land and feu it on generous terms; the village failed to attract a cotton or woollen industry.
Chipperkyle: 1810-15 idiosyncratic mansion notable for its large front central chimneystack. Restored C18 square stone doocot.
Durhamhill (c.1820): Tall laird’s house.
Free Church (1843 & 1870): Gothic rectangle building, now the village hall.
Manse: A font, said to have been brought from the old chapel of St Bridget at Kirklebride, stands in front of the manse. Also see Corsock.
Moonstone Miniatures: Display of 1:12 scale stately homes, cottages etc.
Parish churchyard: Covenanter’s stone in memory of John Neilsone, Laird of Corsock. One war grave, in care of CWGC.
St David’s Street: Notable houses include old school and St David’s Lodge.
NE. Meikle Cairn: Archaeological site of a cairn on Cairney Hill. Tradition says that the hill was an ancient burial ground but there is no trace.
NE. Minnydow Mote: Archaeological site with the slight remains of a motte or fort.
see Castle Douglas, Clarebrand, Corsock, Crocketford, Crossmichael, Glenkiln,
Glenlochar, Haugh of Urr, Knockvennie, Milton (Crocketford),
KIRKPATRICK FLEMING 85 : NY 2770 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 114-115)
Situated on course of Border-Crawford Roman road with site of two
Roman camps, the main camp being one of the largest in
Calvertsholm (NW of):
Archaeological sites in the area of 3
Cemetery: Contains 7 war graves including 4 members of the British Honduras Forestry Unit, all in CWGC care. Also see adjacent Parish Churchyard below.
Cove Estate: Situated beside River Kirtle, “
Kirkpatrick House (1878-9), Former manse built on site of
Kirkpatrick Station (WCML) closed in 1960.
Mill Hotel: Former farm and mill at Grahamshill (c.1750), now a fine hotel together with the Mill Forge, a wedding venue.
Mossknowe Estate: To E of B6357 (opposite mill) is site of WW2
German POW working
Mossknowe House (1767): Unusual Palladian villa-country house designed by William Craik of Arbigland. Walled garden and stables are of note.
Notwen House (1853): Former area parishes’ workhouse, in the 1960s it became a residential care home for the elderly.
Parish Churchyard: Grahams of Mossknowe and Irvings burial enclosures, also a number of C18 headstones. Also see adjacent Cemetery.
Roman fortlet: Between the railway bridge and the WM (parish church) is a possible site of a Roman fortlet.
Victoria Hall (1898-9): English Baroque in bullnosed ashlar.
SW. Broats: Piend-roofed early C19 farmhouse. Archaeological site of a settlement. Nearby is the site of Kirkpatrick airfield, a WW2 flying training school, closed 1945.
SW. Broats Moss: Westlands Activities is a family activity centre (Quad bikes, Go-Carts etc.).
SW. Nutberry Moss: See Eastriggs.
NE. Raeburn Flow SSSI: Protected wetlands area.
Also see Annan, Chapelcross,
Chapelknowe, Eaglesfield, Eastriggs, Ecclefechan, Evertown,
KIRKTON 78 : NX 9781 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 84)
Small village surrounds a triangular green on which stands a pump.
Carnsalloch House (1757 & C19): Derelict Palladian villa with decaying walled garden and classical stables. Grant funding has been secured from HS.
Carzield: Remains of Roman cavalry fort (mid-C2), the SE corner is clearly visible; it replaced the earlier forts at Dalswinton. Nearby is site of civilian annex.
Kirkmahoe Parish Graveyard: Notable poem-monument to Mary Lindsay (d.1832). Other interesting stones. Two war graves in care of CWGC.
Manse of Kirkmahoe (1723 & 1799): Situated at Carzield, the old manse has an adjoining converted chapel; now a private residence.
Milnhead (c.1760): Small but well-finished country house, formerly the Dower House of Carnsalloch Estate. The garden with a pyramid-roofed square doocot.
see Ae, Amisfield, Auldgirth, Cargenbridge, Collin, Dalswinton,
KIRRIEREOCH 77 : NX 3686 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 51)
Location in GFP on the scenic Bargrennan-Straiton (South Ayrshire) road; slight remains of Suie Tollhouse. Picnic spot by Water of Minnoch near Kirriereoch Loch.
SE. King’s Cairn (C3 BC): Much robbed but still impressive cairn measuring 30m/97ft by 35m/116ft. A central slab-walled chamber is approached by a lower passage.
SW. Sheuchan’s Cairn: See Corrafeckloch.
Also see Bargrennan, Corrafeckloch,
KIRROUGHTREE and PALNURE 83 : NX 4564 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 126)
Blackcraig Mine: Site of lead mines along the crest of Blackcraigs ridge for about 1m/1.6km, the largest and most extensively worked mine in the region.
Kirroughtree House and Estate: See
Mountain Bike Trails: 7stanes mountain biking centre with trails of all grades.
Railway (1861-1965): Traces of old ‘Port Line’, notably the preserved remaining arches of Craddoch Viaduct. Palnure Station (closed 1951) is now a private house.
Stronord: Garden Walk.
NNE. Bargaly House (1691 & later): Laird’s House in Bargaly Glen. Triangular and semicircular dormers, W wing from early C18. Gardens and tomb of Andrew Heron.
W. Blackcraig Wood SWT.
E. Cairnsmore Estate: Stables with ground floor coach-houses, now dwellings. Hay barns have monolithic stone pillars supporting roofs.
E. Cairnsmore Farm: Archaeological site of a cairn. Footpath from farm to Cairnsmore of Fleet.
E. Cairnsmore House (1740): Grand staircase to Roman-Doric portico and Victorian attic dormers.
NE. Cairnsmore of Fleet (711m/2333ft) UBR: Cairn on summit and nearby a memorial to aircraft crashes.
SE. Craddoch: Remaining railway arches of Craddoch Viaduct. CP for Cairnsmore of Fleet (via Cairnsmore Farm).
ENE. Machars Hill: Archaeological site of a motte.
Also see Carsluith,
KIRTLEBRIDGE 85 : NY 2372 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 114)
The Braes (1737 & later): A whitewashed rubble laird’s house. Walled Garden with old door dated 1731.
Donkins: See Eaglesfield.
Kirtlebridge Station: Site of station, closed 1960. Also junction of Kirtlebridge-Annan railway (former Solway Junction Railway) closed 1955; traces of trackbed to W & SW.
Langshaw House (mid-C18 & later): Laird’s house, extended over the years.
Merkland Cross HS: Fine C15 3m/9.9ft high wayside cross with floriated head. Commemoration unknown.
Railway Viaduct (1847): Nine segmental arches on the WCML over the Kirtle Water.
Wyseby (1797 & later): Rendered laird’s house. Stables (C18). Octagonal 3-storey pigsty, henhouse & doocot (early C19).
SE. Blackyett: Archaeological site of a mound, possibly a burial cairn. N is site of Cove Quarries (1794-1900), it had a mineral railway but only slight traces remain.
SW. Breconbeds: Slight remains of Bonshaw Tile Works (1857-1900), notably the kiln.
W. Kirtlebridge ROC Post (
see Annan, Brydekirk, Burnswark Hill, Chapelcross, Chapelknowe, Eaglesfield,
KNOCK AND MAIZE 82 : NW 9957 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 118 & 141)
Name means ‘hillock and bog’; here is an archaeological site of a standing stone, 1.4m/4.6 high.
The SUW from Portpatrick utilizes the roads in the Knock and Maize district before turning E past Knockquhassen Reservoir towards the Stranraer area.
House of Knock (1908): Large Edwardian 2-storey mansion on cliffs, Baronialised by a corner conical-roofed drum tower.
Killantringan Lighthouse: A tapering tower on Black Head built 1900 by David Alan Stevenson. Two-storey high keepers’ houses are now a guest-house.
Also see Knockinaam, Leswalt, Lochans, Lochnaw, Portpatrick, Stranraer.
KNOCKINAAM 82 : NX 0252 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 141)
Dunaldboys: Archaeological site of an Iron Age fort on the head of sea cliffs, it was reconstructed as a medieval motte but not completed.
Knockinaam Lodge Hotel: Surrounded by cliffs with lawns extending down to the bay. Used by Churchill and Eisenhower for clandestine meetings during WW2.
Knockinaam Standing Stone: Small standing stone by the side of the Portpatrick-Cairngarroch road.
Morroch Bay SSSI: Protected geological area.
Also see Cairngarroch, Kirkmadrine, Knock and Maize, Lochans, Portpatrick, Stoneykirk.
KNOCKVENNIE 84 : NX 7571 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 106)
Situated on Urr Water with an old smithy (smiddy), now a residence. Above (SSW) Knockvennie is Cat Craig, a strange outcrop of rock.
Glenlair (1830 & later): Small mansion, home of James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79, buried at Parton). Gutted by fire 1929 the remains are now being stabilised and preserved.
Glenlair Burn Settlement: Archaeological site of a defended settlement on a craig by the E side of the road.
Glenroan: Fine views of the
Kilquhanity (1820): Classical mansion built by Walter Newall. A ‘free school’ from 1940 to 1997, reopening as an international school in 2009 following refurbishment.
NE. Arkland (NW of): Archaeological site of the remains of an enclosure.
WNW. Falbae: Archaeological site of a cairn.
SW. Glenroan (or Glengappock) Mote: Archaeological site of an Iron Age fort.
NNE. Margley: Moat Hill is an archaeological site of a small fort.
NW. Mochrum Fell (317m/1040ft): A large remote area of afforestation.
NW. Mochrum House: 0.5m/0.8km SW of the house is an archaeological site of a vitrified fort, now practically obliterated by afforestation.
see Castle Douglas, Clarebrand, Corsock, Crocketford, Crossmichael, Glenlochar,
Haugh of Urr, Kirkpatrick Durham,
KNOWE 76 : NX 3171 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 99)
Small hamlet and junction with the SUW.
Beoch: Remains of a moat and former dwelling, possibly a laird’s house.
SW. Carsindarroch Steps: A series of waterfalls on the River Bladnoch by Carsindarroch Knows.
NNW. Kirkcalla: Site of church dedicated to St Olaf and graveyard. Documented but no traces remains.
NW. Loch Maberry: Picturesque loch, the N end of which lies within South Ayrshire.
N. Loch Ochiltree: Remains of medieval crannogs and an island dwelling. Connected at its southern end to the Loch of Fyntalloch.
NNE. Ochiltree: Deil’s Dike is an archaeological site of linear earthwork. (Not to be confused with Deil’s Dyke).
Also see Balminnoch, Bargrennan, Challoch, Polbae.
LAGAFATER 76 : NX 1376 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 70)
Remote moorland Edwardian shooting lodge and holiday home
situated at end of 2.3mi/3.7km private road. Archaeological sites in the area
The track and path leading N of the Lodge and also SE from Drumley are part of the old road between Ballantrae and New Luce.
S. Barnvannoch: Archaeological site of a cairnfield.
N. Beneraird: Boundary of D&G and South Ayrshire at 424m/1391ft with fine views.
S. Drumley: Archaeological site of two hut circles.
SW. Drummanmoan Loan: Archaeological site of a cairn.
N. Pildinny: Shepherd’s memorial cairn to James Henry (d.1891). W is accident site of a US Air Force Liberator that crashed on Pildinny 14 June 1945 with the loss of 17 lives.
Also see Glenwhilly, Penwhirn.
LAGGANGARN or LAGGANGAIRN 76 : NX 2271 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 97)
Location on the SUW in roadless remote moorlands.
The Beehive Bothy: A curious wooden wigwam for walkers.
Laggangarn Stones HS: Pair of Bronze Age standing stones. Heights 1.88m/6.17ft and 1.58m/5.18ft with later incised Latin crosses.
Kirkcowan Flow SSSI: Protected wetlands area includes the open area between Airieglasson and Craigmoddie Fell (inclusive).
Wells of the Rees: Archaeological site of holy wells with 3 crude dome-shaped stone covers. Patch of raised ground is site of Kilgallioch church and churchyard.
NE. Linn’s Grave: Enclosed tomb of Alexander Linn, a Covenanter, killed here by soldiers in 1685. Original headstone and later stones built into the enclosure wall.
Also see Glenwhilly, High Eldrig, New Luce, Polbae.
Situated on the lonely scenic Gatehouse of Fleet to Laurieston road. Footpaths lead E to Loch Whinyeon and W to Lagg and Castramont.
Knocktinkle: Viewpoint & CP.
Laghead: A number of archaeological sites in the area include burnt mounds, cairnfields, enclosures and a hut circle.
NNE. Darngarroch: Archaeological site of the remains of a
circular cairn, also a number of
N. Ewe Hill: A number of archaeological sites in the area include burnt mounds, cairnfields, earthwork, enclosure and hut circles.
N. Craig of Girthon: Archaeological sites in the area include a cairnfield, earthwork and a hut circles
NNE. Grobdale: A footpath leads N from Grobdale of Girthon
between Laughenghie & Airie Hills protected area (SSSI) to the remote Loch
Skerrow. Also see
NNE. Grobdale of Balmaghie: Archaeological sites in the area include cairnfields and hut circles.
NNE. Grobdale of Girthon: A number of archaeological sites in the
area include burnt mounds,
N. Nick of Knock: Archaeological sites in the area of cairnfields and earthworks.
Also see Cardoness,
Gatehouse of Fleet, Girthon, Laurieston,
LANGHOLM 79 : NY 3684 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 68)
An Eskdale cotton/woollen town and angling resort on the River Esk, Wauchope Water and Ewes Water. Known as “The Muckle Toon”, it was founded as a burgh of barony 1621.
Langholm is split into two by the Esk: Older Langholm and New Langholm. The Border Riding ceremony is an annual event dating from 1816.
Tourist Point: Langholm Library, High Street.
To the E lie the Langholm & Newcastleton Hills (SSSI). See Tarras Lodge.
Academy (1962): Three storey building.
All Saints S.Ep Church (1887):
Buccleuch Centre (2007): Former Buccleuch Hall redeveloped as theatre, cinema, conference facilities and exhibition area (2007).
Eskdale Leisure & Sports Centre.
Eskdale Hotel (1865-7): Gothic windows and carved bargeboards.
Evangelical Union Chapel (1870): Lanceted box style, now disused.
Langholm Golf Course (1892): A parkland/heathland 9-hole course at Whitaside with views over the town.
Langholm Lodge (1786 & later): Built for the 3rd Duke of Buccleuch; the central section was demolished 1953, leaving the two wings as separate houses.
Library (1875-8): Smart Jacobean building; it is back-to-back
with the Town Hall. Now the reference library, the lending library being in
Mission Church or Mission Hall (1881): Buttressed rectangle with a Gothic bellcote. Now a community centre and ambulance station.
North UP Church (1867): Built in early English Gothic style with the only steeple in Langholm. Now disused.
Police Station (1865): In Scots Jacobean style with crow-stepped gables, one with a coat of arms surrounded by thistles.
Railway (1864): Traces of the former Border Union (later North British) Langholm branch railway, closed to passengers 1964, freight 1967.
St Francis of Assisi RC Church (1884): Former South UP Church, plain buttressed rectangle with lead spire, the SW porch has a roundel with a relief portrait bust above door.
Skipper’s Bridge (1700 & 1808-9): Three unequal-sized arch bridge carries the A7 trunk road over the Esk. Nearby a toll house.
Town Hall (1812): With clock, bell tower and spire. At the rear
by the library is the C18 Mercat Cross, opposite a statue of Admiral Sir
Pulteney Malcolm and a
Wattie’s Bank: Nearby are extant surface features of a ROC underground monitoring post (1961-91).
Wauchope Churchyard: Site of Wauchope church (C13). Two war graves (in care of CWGC) and interesting old gravestones.
W. Becks: To N is an archaeological site of a settlement.
WSW. Calfield: Archaeological site of a settlement.
NW. Craigcleuch (1874-5): Small Tudor mansion with central entrance tower, it houses the Scottish Explorers’ Museum.
E. John Malcolm Memorial (1835): Obelisk on Whita Hill to General Malcolm the Governor of Bombay, born in Langholm 1769.
NNE. Terrona: Archaeological site of an enclosure.
Also see Bentpath, Broomholm, Canonbie, Ewes, Gilnockie, Rowanburn, Staplegordon, Tarras Lodge, Wauchope Schoolhouse.
LAURIESTON 83/84 : NX 6864 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 130)
Beechmont : Formerly the Free Church (1845), converted to a private dwelling 1966.
Bellymack Hill Farm - Galloway Kite Trail and Red Kite Feeding Station - feeding time at 2pm daily.
Blates Mill: A watermill was shown here on Pont’s map of around 1610 before a village existed.
Craig Hill: Archaeological site of the remains of a dun.
Dinnance Mote: Archaeological site of a motte.
Galloway Kite Trail: Circular route around Loch Ken with viewing/information areas. Signposted by a Red Kite symbol.
Laurieston Hall (C17 & later): Large house developed from a square tower. Neo-Georgian from 1906. Became a hospital c.1950-80.
Laurieston Hall Stables (mid-C19): Has squat clock tower over the pend.
Memorial to S.R. Crockett (1932): A square whinstone tower with domed top. The author (1859-1914) was educated at the original village school.
School: Built 1879, enlarged 1965 and closed in 2002.
Woodhall Loch SSSI CP: Protected wetlands area; the S end of the loch lies to the N of Laurieston Hall, its length being about 1.5mi/2.4km.
SSE. Bargatton: Archaeological sites in the area of 2
NE. Dornell (or Dornells) Estate & House: Shooting/fishing estate with a C18 mansion and estate cottages picturesquely situated by a lochan to the N of Dornell Loch.
SSW. Edgarton: Remains of a mill including a waterwheel.
SSW. Edgarton Mote: Archaeological site of a fort, also in the area are sites of burnt mounds.
LESWALT 82 : NW 9962 - NX 0163 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 118-119)
Centre of a medieval parish that embraces half of Stranraer.
Aldouran Glen: The Leswalt-Lochnaw road traverses this pretty
glen. Woodland Trust reserve with walks.. Also
Challoch (early C19): Harled 2-storey farmhouse. In E gable a marriage stone, flanked by coats of arms, bears the date 1573.
Stranraer Golf Club, Craichmore: A parkland/coastal 18-hole course with views of Loch Ryan.
Tor of Craigoch CP:
Also see Castle Kennedy, Ervie, Innermessan, Kirkcolm, Knock and Maize, Lochans, Lochnaw, Stranraer.
LINCLUDEN and NEWBRIDGE 84 : NX 9677 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 84 & 176)
Cable-stayed footbridge (1988-90): Landmark bridge crosses the
Former bus shelter to E of Glasgow Rd (by
Lincluden Collegiate Church & Provost’s House HS (C15): Fine medieval architectural ruins on site of early nunnery. Tomb of Princess Margaret (C15).
Lincluden or Kirkhill Motte (C12): Well preserved motte adjoins Lincluden Collegiate Church site.
Lochside Motte: A large earthen mound in an open area, believed to be a motte.
NW. Charter House Nurseries (Nunwood) has attractive gardens.
NW. Twelve Apostles: See Holywood.
Also see Amisfield, Auldgirth, Cargenbridge, Collin, Drumpark Bridge, Dumfries, Duncow, Ellisland, Glencaple, Heathhall & Locharbriggs, Holywood, Irongray, Islesteps, Kirkton, Lochfoot, Mabie Forest, Terregles, Tinwald, Torthorwald.
LOCHANS 82 : NX 0656 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 142)
Remains of old Portpatrick Railway trackbed in area, including parts of the Duchra and Piltanton Viaducts (1862). The SUW crosses the A716 at Whiteleys.
W. Cairn Pat or Piot: Conspicuous hill with radio transmitter and an archaeological remains of a large fort.
SW. Colfin Creamery (1919): Became a fish processing plant, now the Galloway Smoke House, furniture store etc.
SW. Colfin Station (1862): Railway station and passenger service closed 1950 but freight ran to Colfin Creamery sidings until 1959. The station house is now a private residence.
SSW. Eldrickhill: Close to the (now covered) St Catherine’s Well a church and graveyard is said to have stood, evidence of old graves have been found in the past.
SE. Garthland Mains (early C19): Piend-roof 2-storey farmhouse, site of a tower house.
E. Kildrochet House (c.1800): White harled 2-storey laird’s house.
see Cairngarroch, Castle Kennedy, Dunragit, Innermessan, Knock and Maize,
Knockinaam, Leswalt, Portpatrick, Sandhead, Stoneykirk, Stranraer,
LOCH DEE 77 : NX 4678 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 76)
The Black Water of Dee (River Dee) links Loch Dee to Clatteringshaws Loch.
Ellergower Moss SSSI: Protected wetlands at the E side of Loch Dee.
Merrick-Kells SSSI, UBR: Covers a wide area around
White Laggan, a former steading under the slopes of Curly Wee, is now a bothy for the SUW.
NE. Backhill of Bush Bothy: Remote former farm in the Dungeon of Buchan, here the Mountain Bothies Association was founded. Now in the care of the Forestry Commission.
SE. Cairnbaber SSSI: Protected area of upland grassland.
WNW. Glenhead: The Loch Dee-Glen Trool GFP forest track includes the National Cycle Network 7 (off-road section) and part of the SUW. Also see Glen Trool.
NNE. The Silver Flowe NNR, SSSI, UBR: Fine example of an upland blanket bog on undisturbed and varied acidic peatland. Limited access.
Also see Clatteringshaws,
LOCH ETTRICK 78 : NX 9493 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 42)
Loch with fishery situated just outside the western boundary of the
SSW. Auchencairn Height: Archaeological site of
NNE. Capel Glen: Archaeological site of a cairn.
S. Gawin Moor: Archaeological sites in the
WSW. Gilchristland: Tall estate house, arched entrance into farm. Horse riding.
NNE. Glass Rig: Archaeological sites in the area include burnt mounds and cairnfields.
NW. Knockbrack: Archaeological sites in the area of cairnfields, earthworks, and remains of a kiln and a settlement .
NE. Nether Dod: Archaeological sites in the area of
SW. Watchman Hill: Archaeological sites of
SSW. White Hill: Archaeological site of a 2
Also see Ae, Closeburn, Thornhill.
LOCHFOOT 84 : NX 8973 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 108)
A small moorland village situated on the old Bridge of Sark-Portpatrick Military Road at the N end of Lochrutton Loch.
Lochrutton Loch: Archaeological site of the remains of a crannog.
Lochrutton Parish Churchyard: Fine tombstones include twin Ionic aedicules. One war grave, in care of CWGC.
Moat of Lochrutton: Slight remains of what were large earthworks at N side of village are possible site of a Roman fortlet.
SW. Auchenfranco: Archaeological site of
E. Easthill: Archaeological site of ‘Seven Gray Stanes’; actually the remains of 10 stones in a circle on a prominent knoll.
SE. Mains of Hills: 1860 farmhouse with a whin-walled steading (1809-12).
Also see Beeswing,
Cargenbridge, Crocketford, Dumfries, Glenkiln, Irongray, Islesteps,
LOCH GRANNOCH 77/83 : NX 5468 – 5471 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 102)
Access by forest tracks and cycle route.
Former shooting lodge (now an Outdoor Centre) at S end is approached via a ravine, within which is a memorial to the last packhorse.
E. Lea Larks SSSI: Protected geological area, to the N is Loch Fleet.
E. Nick of the Dead Man’s Banes: Situated between Craigwhinnie and Benmeal where human bones have been found at different times.
LOCHINVAR 77 : NX 6585 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 56)
Sir Walter Scott borrowed the name of this place for his famous
ballad ‘The Young Lochinvar’.
Corseglass (or Carseglass): Preserved ruin of the small
S. Half Mark: Large water treatment plant opened 2001.
SSE. Milnmark Hill: Archaeological site of a C&R close to Knockman Burn.
Also see Auchenstroan Craig, Balmaclellan, Corriedoo, Dalry, Dundeugh, New Galloway.
LOCH KEN 77/83/84 : NX 6375 – 7365 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 78-79, 104-105 & 131)
Loch Ken (SPA) is 9mi/14.5km long, created through the GHES. Galloway Forest Park borders the NW side of the loch.
Before the building of the Ken Bridge & Glenlochar Barrage,
ferries operated at Boat of Balmaghie, Boat of Livingston & Boat O’
Galloway Kite Trail: Circular route around Loch Ken with viewing/information areas. Signposted by a Red Kite symbol.
Glenlochar Barrage: At S end of the loch, it is remotely controlled from Glenlee Power Station.
Nature Conservation Area at New
River Dee (Parton-Crossmichael) SSSI: Protected wetlands between
RSPB reserve & SSSI at Ken-Dee Marshes (See Balmaghie) and Kenmure Holm (See New Galloway).
Also see Balmaghie,
LOCHMABEN 78 : NY 0882 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 179)
Castle Hill (Castle of the Bruces): Situated between Castle and Kirk Lochs, a large oval C12 motte (Castle Hill), now the 14th tee of the golf course.
Crown Hotel: Early C19 coaching inn. Doorpiece decorated with Empire garlands.
Edward VII Memorial Fountain (1910-11): Stands at N end of
Innerfield (N of): Site of a Roman camp, no surface remains.
Kirk Loch (W of): Archaeological sites of enclosures and a settlement, no surface remains.
Lochbank: Archaeological site of an Iron Age fort (Woodycastle),
it stands on N side of former railway near Mill Loch and
Lochmaben Golf Club: A parkland 18-hole course around Kirk Loch.
Lochmaben (Fever) Hospital (1905 & later): The former county infectious diseases hospital was extended over the years. Majority of buildings demolished by 2006.
Lochmaben Lochs SSSI: Protected area of wetlands that includes
Blind Lochs, Mill Loch and
Lochmaben Peel & Castle HS (C13-C14): Moated royal castle ruins with drawbridge. Unique 6.1m/20ft wide canal with arched protective forework.
Manse (1839-0): Built by Walter Newall. A rear outbuilding has a pigeon loft or doocot in the gable end.
Mercat Cross: Situated in
Old Churchyard: Site of medieval parish church (St Mary Magdalene). Headstones from mid C18 and an obelisk to Dr Mounsey of Rammerscales.
Railway (1863-1966): Traces of Caledonian Railway Dumfries-Lochmaben-Lockerbie trackbed in the area. Passenger service ceased and Lochmaben Station closed 1952.
Robert the Bruce Statue (1879): In front of Town Hall/Tolbooth, a large sandstone armoured statue on apedestal of polished Dalbeattie granite.
Town Hall (1722 & 1867): Spire added 1743. Statue of Revd William Graham, Interior includes stained glass portraits of Robert the Bruce and William Wallace.
WM (1921): Marble statue of a youthful King’s Own Scottish
Borderer standing at ‘Arms Reversed’. Just SE of the WM is
E. Halleaths: Site of large WW2 POW camp. Site of demolished Halleaths baronial mansion (1866) of which various estate buildings remain. Also site of a Roman camp.
E. Halleath Farm: A fine old sessile oak is notable for its widely spreading crown and wide trunk.
ESE. Lockerbie Creamery: A major cheese manufacturer, now part of Glanbia Foods.
see Amisfield, Collin, Courance,
LOCHNAW and GALDENOCH 82 : NW 9763 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 118)
Garchrie Moss: Galdenoch Composting Plant: Council composting, recycling and waste plant for Wigtown area.
Lochnaw: Site of WW2 auxiliary hospital from 1940; in 1942 it
became a sizable
Lochnaw Grounds: Boat-house c.1900. Walled garden (1819). Circular C19 ‘tower’ summerhouse. Various lodges.
Lochnaw Loch: Possible site of a crannog off W side of
SW. Fort Point: Archaeological sites of a fort and and salt-pans.
SSW. Kemp’s Walk Fort: Large Iron Age fort on a promontory
WNW. Kiln of the Fuffock (between
SSW. Larbrax Moor: Archaeological sites of a at several hut circle.
NNW. Mains of Cairnbrock (C19): Typical Galloway farmhouse & steading with a well-preserved 2-storey cheese-loft.
NW. Portobello: Archaeological site of fort.
NW. Rough Hill (W of): Archaeological site of three coastal forts.
SW. Salt Pans Bay SSSI: Path leads from
Also see Ervie, Kirkcolm, Knock and Maize, Leswalt, Stranraer.
LOCH SKERROW 83 : NX 6068 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 103)
Remote roadless locality in the Laughenghie & Airie Hills SSSI (see below), with good traces of the trackbed on the old ‘Port Line’ railway (1861-1965).
A footpath leads S from Loch Skerrow Halt through the SSSI to
Grobdale of Girthon.
Clack Hill: Archaeological site of a cairnfield.
Laughenghie: Archaeological sites of cairnfields and a hut circle. Remains of a kiln barn.
Laughenghie & Airie Hills SSSI: Protected area of upland grasses and heaths.
Loch Skerrow Halt (1861-1963): Remains of platforms, railway cottages, signalbox and water tower. Station renamed Lochskerrow 1955.
SW. Little Water-of-Fleet Viaduct: Remains of the former 9-arch railway viaduct. Nearby is a memorial to a crashed Typhoon, of which some parts remain.
Also see Gatehouse Station,
LOCHWOOD 78 : NY 0896 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 44)
Lochwood SSSI: A small protected stand of ancient sessile oaks; listed in the 100 Great Scottish Heritage Trees register (2003).
NE. Cogrie: Archaeological site of a settlement.
E. Cogrie Viaduct: Carries the WCML railway over the River Annan. To W are traces of possible Roman causeway in the Annan, in line with the course of a Roman road.
NW. Ewe Knowe: Archaeological sites in the area include a cairn and a cairnfield.
NW. Eyre Burn: Archaeological site of settlements.
NW. Knockbuith Hill: Archaeological site of a cairnfield.
NNE. Mote Knowe (or Rigfoot): Archaeological site of a settlement, now flattened by ploughing.
NW. Newbank: Archaeological remains of a settlement.
WNW. Park Hill: Archaeological remains of timber round-houses; to the W are remains of a fort; to both N and E are settlement remains.
WNW. Stidrigg Cairn: See
NW. Stidriggs: Archaeological site of a fort and settlement.
NW. Willie Wilkin’s Craig: Archaeological remains of a settlement. To the W is a cairn.
Also see Beattock, Courance,
LOCKERBIE 78 : NY 1381 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 180)
December 21st 1988: Pan Am Flight 103 blew up in mid-air and the main piece of fuselage crashed into the town killing 259 passengers & crew and 11 people on the ground.
All Saints S.Ep Church (1901-3): Modest but picturesque A&C style. Interior has an altarpiece (1920) by J Ninian Comper; stain glass windows.
Auction Mart (early C20): Octagon building with carved bull’s head above the door, and an onion-domed cupola.
Caledonian Lockerbie-Lochmaben-Dumfries Railway (1863-1966): Traces of trackbed in the area; passenger service ceased in 1952. Also see Lockerbie Station below.
Dryfesdale Country House Hotel: Tree carving of a Scottish piper (2005).
Dryfesdale Lodge Visitors’ Centre: Situated by the cemetery gates, it contains a quiet room and two exhibition rooms.
Eskrigg Nature Reserve: Lockerbie Wildlife Trust nature reserve and woodland walks.
Fairholm: Archaeological site of a Roman marching camp.
Holy Trinity RC Church (1874-5): Built as UP
Inns of note: Blue
Lockerbie Free Church (1866-7): Former church in red sandstone Gothic with tall broached spire. Now used as a chapel of rest.
Lockerbie Golf Club: A parkland 18-hole course in an open setting above the town.
Lockerbie Hill: Extant surface features of a ROC underground monitoring post (1964-68). Personal memorial cross to victim of Pan Am Disaster 1988.
Lockerbie Ice Rink: Curling & ice skating.
Lockerbie Station (1847): Last of the pioneering Caledonian Railway’s original stations. Lockerbie is currently the only WCML station in D&G. Modern bridge/lifts (2008).
Pan Am Disaster (1988):
Police Station (1968): Built on site of old police station and C16 Lockerbie Tower.
Quhytewoollen Hill: Archaeological site of a settlement.
Town Hall (1887-91): Mixed Scottish Baronial & Jacobean with tall turreted clock tower. Inside is the Pan Am 1988 memorial window (1991).
WM (1921-2): Big pedestal of polished Dalbeattie granite carrying a skipping bronze figure of Victory, by Henry C Fehr. Very similar to the WM at Langholm.
WNW. Dryfesdalegate: Archaeological remains of a fort.
SW. Hallmuir: Ukrainian POW Chapel (1942), furnished with hand-carved statues & furnishings. Archaeological sites of 3 settlements nearby.
W. Ladyward: Archaeological site of Roman fort, no visible remains.
W. Lockerbie Creamery: See Lochmaben.
N. Lockerbie Manor Hotel (c.1800 & later): Formerly Lockerbie Manor, a small mansion house.
SE. Mall’s Castle: Archaeological site of a settlement.
E. Raggiewhate: Archaeological site of a settlement.
SW. Roberthill Steading: Has a fine late C18 cart shed and granary range with four arched cart bays.
NNW. Sandbed: Sawmill was originally a woollen mill. Nearby the
site of the original
N. Steven’s Croft Biomass Power Station: See Millhousebridge.
W. Torwood: Archaeological site of Roman temporary camp, now with only one visible rampart.
see Bankshill, Boreland, Burnswark Hill, Corrie Common,
A range of hills between Nithsdale and Annandale that form part of the Southern Uplands, stretching northward from the Forest of Ae.
Notable hills within D&G include Lowther (725m/2377ft), Earncraig, East Mount Lowther, Gana Law, Queensbury, Scaw’d Law, Wedder Law.
The Lowthers once maintained extensive lead mines but are now primarily sheep farming. Gold was prospected in the Mennock Water.
Three roads traverse the Lowther Hills:
see Blackgannoch, Corsebank, Dalveen, Durisdeer, Enterkinfoot, Mennock,
Mixed woodland with a freshwater loch.
Mabie House (C18): The former stables (early C19), now forestry offices, has a tall castellated centrepiece with spired clock tower.
Mabie House Arboretum: Samples of exotic trees including Japanese cypresses and giant redwood.
Marthrown of Mabie: Adventure centre, rope course and bunkhouse. Reconstructed Iron Age roundhouse.
Mountain Bike Trails: 7stanes mountain biking centre with family and experienced rider trails.
WSW. Lochaber Loch:
NNE. Pict’s Knowe: Archaeological site of a henge monument, surveyed 1994-7.
NNE. St Queran’s Well: Holy well once held in great repute for cure of diseases; offerings included coins, cloth and ribbon. Coins recovered dated back to c.1560.
see Beeswing, Cargenbridge,
The Machars peninsular is situated between
See Auchenmalg, Bladnoch, Carty Port, Chapel Finian, Cruggleton, Culmalzie, Culshabbin, Drumtroddan, Elrig, Garlieston, Glasserton, Glenluce, Isle of Whithorn, Kirkcowan, Kirkinner, Mindork, Mochrum Village, Monreith, Newton Stewart, Port William, Ravenstone, Sorbie, Spittal, Stairhaven, Whauphill, Whithorn, Wigtown.
MARRBURN 78 : NS 8301 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 24)
Ballaggan Motte: Archaeological site of a motte.
Holehouse: Panoramic views over Nithsdale of the Lowther Hills from the Cleuchhead-Marrburn road.
N. Burnmouth: To the W of Burnmouth and Eliock Wood are extant features of Deil’s Dyke. Also see Deil’s Dyke.
N. Burnsands: Possible section of Roman road.
SW. Cleuchhead: Archaeological site of an earthwork, possibly an Iron Age settlement.
W. Druidhill Burn: Archaeological site of an earthwork, an isolated turf-covered knoll that may have been a settlement.
Also see Deil’s Dyke, Drumlanrig, Enterkinfoot, Keir Mill, Mennock, Penpont, Scaur Water Glen.
MENNOCK 71/78 : NS 8007 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 10)
Start of the road which winds NE with the Mennock Water via the
Mennock Water SSSI: Protected wetlands (including lower Glendyne and Loch Burns) encompassed by Mennock Wood.
Mennock Water Viaduct (1850): Three arches, built for the
Smithy House (c.1840): Narrow 2-storey sandstone building with Tudor gablets over the 1st floor windows.
WSW. Eliock House (late C16 & later): Large H-plan house, birthplace in 1560 of author James Crichton. The derelict NE wing contained tower-house nucleus, burnt out 1940.
S. Glengenny Hill: W of the hill is an archaeological site of a cairn, 29m/95ft in diameter & 1.5m/5ft high.
SW. Twentyshilling: Archaeological sites of
Also see Deil’s Dyke, Enterkinfoot, Kirkconnel, Lowther Hills, Marrburn, Sanquhar, Wanlockhead.
MIDDLEBIE 85 : NY 2176 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 88)
Birrens (Blatobulgium Roman Fort): Excavated forts and camp
dating from C1-C2; also trace of a small C15-C16 tower house. Trace of the
Roman road up
Cleuchbrae Mill: Disused watermill and mill house on the West Gill; closed up since c.1975.
Johnstone Hall: E is site of a Roman Camp, not visible on the ground.
Middlebiehill: Site of two Roman camps, not visible on the ground.
Purdomstone Reservoir: Below the dam of the reservoir is an archaeological site of a settlement.
SSE. Broadlea (NW of): Site of two Roman camps and archaeological site of an earlier henge.
SSE. Broadlea Cottages: Possible site of a Roman signal station or fortlet.
see Bankshill, Brydekirk, Burnswark Hill, Chapelcross, Eaglesfield,
MILLHOUSEBRIDGE and APPLEGARTHTOWN 78 : NY 1085 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 64)
Applegarth Churchyard: Jardine Burial Enclosure (c.C17) and some fine sandstone-slab tombstones. Four war graves under CWGC care.
Applegarth Motte: Archaeological site of a steep sided motte, c.8.8m/29ft high.
Applegarthtown: Tiny village on a C8-11 monastic site with a church, motte and a small nature reserve. SW by the River Annan is a possible site of a Roman camp.
Applegarthtown Wildlife Sanctuary: Flooded waste land provides a quiet small wildlife refuge with two hides.
Jardine House: Site of a magnificent 1814 mansion that was demolished in 1964. Traces of Roman road in area.
Jardine House (or Fourmerkland) Lodge (C20): Pyramid-roofed lodge with central chimney. Imposing gatepiers with obelisk finials.
Jardine Policies: Remaining buildings include Jardine Mains, walled garden, and the stables (with courtyard and clock tower) that were converted to domestic usage 1985
Millhousebridge: Hamlet built c.1814 as an estate village for Jardine Hall, the single-span bridge was built 1834. The Clock House is the former schoolhouse.
Nethercleuch (or Nethercleugh): Site of Nethercleugh Station, level crossing and signalbox on the WCML, the station closed 1960.
E. Steven’s Croft: The Biomass Power Station (2008) is the
largest wood-fired facility in the
SSE, Dryfesholm Farm (C19): Long 18-bay barn with a slated roof, supported on tall cast-iron columns.
SSE. Gallaberry Hill: Archaeological site of a fort.
NNE. Perchhall Loch SSSI: Small protected area of wetlands.
NE. Ryecastle Hill: Archaeological site of a settlement.
SSE. West Lodge, Dryfesholm (c.1860): Double coach-house with central clock tower.
Also see Courance, Hightae, Johnstonebridge, Lochmaben,
MILTON (Crocketford) 84 : NX 8470 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 107)
Hamlet situated on the old
Milton Loch SSSI: Situated between Milton and Crocketford the
loch is an archaeological site of 3 crannogs and an earthwork:
SE. Camp Hill: Archaeological site of a settlement. Here in 1837 a hoard of 12 Bronze Age rapiers were found.
Also see Beeswing, Crocketford, Haugh of Urr, Kirkgunzeon, Kirkpatrick Durham, Lochfoot, Shawhead, Springholm.
MINDORK 82 : NX 3058 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 123)
Remote moss area of The Machars, mainly forested to E (Mindork Fell and Low Mindork Moss) and S (Mindork Moss).
Chapel Hill: Remains of a chapel near River Tarf below
S. Craigeach: A dark rubble building built by former Wigtown County Council as a residential agricultural school, now part of the Mochrum Estate.
W. Derskelpin Moss SSSI: Protected wetlands also known as Dirskelpin Moss; it surrounds and includes Dernaglar Loch.
W. Drumcarnachan: Archaeological site of a hut circle.
Also see Culshabbin, Kirkcowan, Spittal.
Pleasant little village curving round the church, it’s alternative name is Kirk of Mochrum.
Boghouse Farm: Fragments of dressed stones may be seen in the walls of the byre, their origin is uncertain.
Druchtag Mote Hill HS: Notable C12 motte in the ‘pudding-shaped’ mould. 6.5m/21.3 high, it once supported a C17 Scot-Norman wooden castle.
Greenmantle Hotel (C18 & later): Former manse.
Parish Churchyard: Contains 10 war graves, in care of CWGC.
N. Barrachan: Remote hamlet in a farming community.
NNW. Ringheel (NE of): Archaeological site of earthworks, possibly a settlement. Nearby is Fauld Rot Well, a spring.
Also see Chapel Finian, Culmalzie, Culshabbin, Drumtroddan, Elrig, Monreith, Port William, Ravenstone, Whauphill.
MOFFAT 78 : NT 0805 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 174)
A popular resort that stands on the River Annan in a delightful setting of Lowland hills. In existence in the C12 it developed as a spa town from the mid-C17.
Tourist Information Centre, Church Gate: Summer only.
Annandale Arms Hotel (c.1783): A coaching inn.
Archbank: To the W are archaeological remains of a settlement.
Auldton Hill: Archaeological sites of 4 settlements.
Auldton Mote (
Black Bull Hotel: c.C17 in origin but mostly late Georgian in appearance.
Chapel Farm: Chapel Farm: Gable remains of St Cuthbert’s Chapel (c.C13) and slight remains of a tower house. Possible site of an ancient hospital.
Coats Hill: Archaeological remains of cairnfields, a motte, settlements and a possible hut circle.
Coats Hill Footpath: 1m footpath leads from above
Colvin Fountain (1875 & 2006): The bronze (and earless) “Moffat Ram” celebrates Moffat’s involvement with the sheep industry.
Dyke: Alignment of 3 standing stones situated on W side of A701.
High Street: Forms a broad market place with trees and CP in the middle with, unusually, two-way traffic on either side.
Hunterheck: An archaeological site of a settlement that includes a complex series of earthworks.
Masonic Hall (1837): BUILT AS Morrison’s School, converted to a Masonic hall 1892.
Moffat Golf Club (1884): An upland parkland/heathland 18-hole course with fine views of the area and over the town.
Moffat House Hotel (1762-7): Moffat’s finest building by John Adam, built as a mansion house for the 2nd Earl of Hopetoun.
Moffat Well: The medicinal properties of the sulphurous well were recognized by 1657. To E on Merecleuch Hill are archaeological sites of cairnfields.
Moffat Woollen Mill: A popular destination especially for coaches.
Old Court House (1772): Large bullseye window in the front. The cupola was given the clock in 1887.
Old Well Theatre: A fine theatre development in a converted church hall.
Proudfoot Institute (1885 & 1893): Social club originally build as a working men’s institute. During WW1 it was used as a Red Cross Hospital.
Railway (1883-1964): Slight traces of the old Beattock-Moffat
branch railway (1883). Passenger service and Moffat Station closed 1954. Also see
St John the Evangelist (1951-3): S.Ep, it contains the font and organ from the former church: Also see St Luke RC Church - next entry.
St Luke RC Church (1866): Angular Gothic detail with wooden walls, this church was built as S.Ep, it was reclad and given a cross a century later.
St Mary’s UF Church (1890-2): Built as the Free Church, Gothic & Early English with tall tower in red sandstone dressing. Refurbished 2007 and converted to flats.
Star Hotel (1860): Said to be the narrowest hotel in
Town Hall (1827 & 1881): Formerly the Moffat pump house and baths. Assembly Room. Two Provosts’ lamps at the front.
Walls: Archaeological site of a moated site. Also referred to as a moated the Templars’ chapelry of Walls.
Well Street: Wynd-like street is almost medieval in character. No
15-17 are late
WM (1919-20): Looks like a tall Mercat cross. Has royal arms of
NW. Blacklaw Burn: Archaeological site of a settlement N of Blacklaw Tower. Other sites in area include a burnt mound and a cairnfield.
NNE. Blaebeck: Archaeological sites in the area ob burnt mounds and earthworks.
E. Craigieburn Fort: Archaeological site of a settlement and fort overlooking Moffat Water.
E. Craigieburn House (C18): House stands on possible site of earlier tower at the edge of a ravine, with assortment of associated buildings.
E. Craigieburn Wood: Marked forest walks with views over Moffat Dale.
E. Crofthead: Archaeological site of a settlement overlooking Moffat Water; also several burnt mounds in the area.
SE. Dumcrieff (c.1820-8): Classical house, once the home of John Loundon McAdam (road engineer) in a splendid situation.
NE. Frenchland Burn: Archaeological site of a settlement.
NNW. Holehouse Linn: Archaeological site of a settlement; S is a further settlement site.
S. Threewater Foot: Here the River Annan is joined by the Moffat Water and Evan Water.
ESE. Wait Hill: Archaeological sites of two settlements.
Also see Beattock,
Capplegill, Devil’s Beef Tub, Earshaig, Ericstane, Greenhillstairs, Lochwood,
Moffat Hills SSSI: Protected area of upper grasslands and heaths.
The highest of the peaks here is White Coomb (822m/2697ft) the 2nd highest in D&G. Hart Fell (808m/2651ft) is the 4th highest in D&G.
Other hills include Andrewhinney, Bodesbeck Law, Capel Head, Ettrick Pen, Loch Fell, Saddle Yoke, Swatte Fell, Wind Fell.
Hart Hill: Legend says King Arthur
see Boreland, Capplegill, Davington, Devil’s Beef Tub, Ericstane, Eskdalemuir,
Grey Mare’s Tail, Moffat, Sandyford.
MONIAIVE 78 : NX 7790 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 39)
Picturesque village with narrow streets, founded in 1636 as a burgh of barony. Three streams meet in the vicinity to form the Cairn Water.
Caitloch (c.C18): Plain house dressed up c.1860 with a
battlement, corner turrets and an extension with Tudor-arch door. NE is
Craignee: Example of Rodney Holland’s chainsaw carving on the A702 roadside.
Crichen Wood: Remains of an Orlit observation post near site of former ROC underground monitoring post (1962-75).
Dalwhat Glen: A scenic 9km/5½m glen road follows the Dalwhat
Water from Moniaive to
Dalwhat Water: CP and picnic area at N end of Dunreggan.
Dunreggan Brae: Fine views over Moniaive on the narrow picturesque road from Tynron.
Ewanston House (early C19): Harled laird’s house.
Free Church (1843): Disused and partly demolished to form a garden feature, behind is the white-harled former manse. SE is Smith’s Stone, a possible Covenanter’s stone.
Glenluiart (1899-1901): Accomplished A&C house. Courtyard consists of A&C lodge, outbuildings and stables.
Hastings Hall: Set in a rockery is part of an early Christian cross, consisting of the shaft and lower arm.
Kilneiss House (1884): A&C house set well back in a wooded garden. Home of the artist James Paterson c.1884-1906.
Memorial Institute (1834): Built as a United Associate chapel and converted to an institute 1919.
Mercat Cross (1638): Red sandstone cross surmounted by a stone ball (C19), the ball replaced a sundial.
Renwick’s Monument (1828): Rev James
Renwick, last of the Covenanter martyrs, executed in
St Ninian’s Church (1887-8): Built as chapel of ease of Glencairn, a curious long building with clerestory glazing.
Tower House (late C19): Broad-eaved cottage orné with a tall clock tower and fishscale-slated octagonal spire.
Other buildings of interest in Moniaive: Bank of
W. Craigdarroch House: William Adam house (1726-9 and later) with fine garden. Turnpike stairs survive from older house. Annie Laurie lived here from marriage until death.
W. Mill Studio and Nursery.
Also see Auchenstroan Craig, Castlefairn, Dalwhat Glen,
MONREITH 83 : NX 3640 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 170)
Small estate village with C19 cottages situated on
Beaches beside golf course and at foot of cliff paths. The
Blairbuy: Site of water-powered threshing mill. Archaeological sites of C&Rs in the area.
Blairbuy Loch: W is an archaeological site of 2standing stones.
Clarksburn Wood: Archaeological sites of C&Rs.
Kirkmaiden: Gavin Maxwell (1914-1969) Memorial is a bronze otter (1978).
Kirkmaiden Churchyard: Memorial & grave of Francois Thurot, Manx smuggler and French Naval Officer. A cross slab is in an enclosure.
Port Whapple: An old landing point (or port), often used for smuggling.
St Medana’s Well or Cheincough Well: Natural spring flows from a rock beneath the church.
St Medan Golf Club:
Stellock: NE and SE are archaeological sites of C&Rs.
Wren’s Egg HS: A large granite boulder, a glacial erratic on edge of low ridge; nearby are 2 standing stones which suggests a possible stone circle.
E. Barmeal Plantation: Site of the supposed formidable
SE. Cairndoon: Archaeological site of a settlement.
NE. Fell of Barhullion: Archaeological site of an oval fort (c.C1 BC), originally enclosed by a massive drystone wall. To the N and SE are C&Rs.
SE. Knock: Archaeological sites of 3 settlements (1 to the S and 2 to the SE).
N. Black Loch of Myrton (Monreith Estate): Former loch, now a plantation, in which in 2013 Scotland’s first known Iron Age ‘Loch Village’ was uncovered by archaeologists.
N. Monreith Estate: Tower ruin (c.1500) of
N. Monreith House (1790-4 & later): Classical country house of the Maxwells. Rich interior includes tapestries and floral appliqué.
NNW. White Loch of Myrton (Monreith Estate): Fishing loch with a archaeological site of a crannog.
Also see Drumtroddan,
MOSSDALE 77/84 : NX 6570 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 104)
Airds of Kells (1743 or earlier): Two-storey farmhouse and pavilions.
Hensol Estate: Tudor Lodge (c.1825) and bridge possible by Lugar. The Lainshaw Sundial (C17) has numerous dials.
Hensol House (1822-4): Large Tudor villa mansion in grey granite by Robert Lugar. Four ogee-roofed square towers.
Little Duchrae Earthwork: Archaeological site of a well preserved earthwork by the E side of the A762; a feature is that it has pronounced “angular corners”.
Mossdale Walk: Red Kite information and viewing point.
New Galloway Station (1861-1965): Now a private residence. The road-bridge replaced an earlier dangerous level crossing.
Railway (1861-1965): Good traces of old ‘Port Line’ railway
trackbed. The trackbed crosses the Black-Water-of-Dee at Stroan Viaduct (W): Also see
E. Airds of Kells Wood SSSI:
N. Bennan Hill: Lower and higher viewpoints in the GFP of northern Loch Ken. Red Kite information and viewing points.
SSW. Bruce Mausoleum (19C): Mausoleum for the Bruce family of Slogarie, now roofless, it stands in remote woodland by an unnamed cemetery ground.
NW. Cairn Edward Hill:
Situated in the
S. Little Duchrae Farm: Birthplace of the
E. Loch Ken Viaduct (Boat o’
S. Nether Crae: Former farm buildings converted late C20 into a modern country house with the addition of a stair tower.
NW. Raiders Road: Two-way forest drive from A762 to A712
(Clatteringshaws Dam) via Stroan Loch and the Otter’s Pool: See
SSW. Slogarie Farm: Modern country house encompassing former Slogarie Cottages. The original Slogarie Farm is now called Slogarie Steadings.
Also see Balmaghie,
MOSSYARD 83 : NX 5451 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 150)
A designated bathing water with sandy beaches and rock bays; to the S a tombolo connects Mossyard to the Garvellan Rocks. Summer IRB station. Archaeological sites of C&Rs.
Laggan: Archaeological sites in the area of a cairn and several
Laggan Outdoor Centre: Variety of activities includes the
Standing Stones of
NW. High Auchenlarie: Archaeological remains of a fort. Also in
the area are the sites of 2
W. Kirkclaugh House (c.1860): Baronial manor incorporating a late Georgian house. The Kirkclaugh sculptured stone, a C11-C12 1.5m/5ft high cross slab, stands in the garden.
W. Kirkclaugh Mote: Archaeological site of a motte & bailey situated on the cliff top. Nearby is a modern standing stone marking the original site of the Kirkclaugh Stone.
Also see Cardoness, Carsluith, Gatehouse of Fleet, Girthon, Kirkdale, Rusko.
MOUSWALD 85 : NY 0672 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 111)
Church and small village situated to the N of the
Burnhill: Archaeological remains of an earthwork.
Cleughbrae (mid-C19): Broad-eaved cottage orné with carved porch bargeboards.
Mouswald Grange: Range of farm buildings with large tower of
former windmill (C18), designed to grind oatmeal. The corn-drying kiln is the
Mouswald House: Former parish manse.
Parish Churchyard extension: Contains one war grave, in care of CWGC. The imposing cemetery gates and arch is also a war memorial.
The Thrushwood: Archaeological site of the slight remains of a settlement.
Townfoot Moss: Radio Transmitting Station.
NW. Brocklehirst (C19): Large picturesque country house with balustraded outlook tower. Run of glasshouses to walled garden.
SE. Panteth Hill: Archaeological site of a settlement; also possible site of a beacon (c.C15).
Carrutherstown, Clarencefield, Collin,
MULL OF GALLOWAY 82 : NX 1530 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 169)
Southernmost point in
The area is now owned by the Mull of Galloway Trust, except the lighthouse which belongs to the Northern Lighthouse Board NLB.
Foghorn (1894): Situated on a battery at water’s edge.
Gallie Craig Coffee House: Award winning turf-roofed cafeteria with an external viewing platform on the cliffs. Open April-October.
Kennedy’s Cairn: Archaeological site of a cairn.
Lighthouse (1828-30): 18.3m/60ft tall, built by Robert Stevenson,
it marks the western boundary of the
Mull of Galloway SSSI: The SSSI covers the coastline around the
Mull, and up the W coast of
Mull of Galloway Visitor Centre is open April-October.
RSPB Nature Reserve: Galloway Wildlife Trail information board.
NNW. Bellou: Archaeological site of two promontory forts, Carrickcamrie and Dunorroch.
NW. Chapel Wells: Former healing wells associated with St Medan; the wells are natural rock cavities visible at low tide.
NW. The Dunnan: Archaeological site of a promontory
WNW. Mull Glen: Archaeological site of a settlement, situated on a steep-sided promontory at the W side of the mouth of Mull Glen. NW is a standing stone.
Also see Crammag Head, Drummore, Scares.
First Scottish National Byway cycle route runs 194mi/312km through D&G between Langholm & the South Ayrshire border N of Newton Stewart.
Also see National Cycle Network.
NATIONAL CYCLE NETWORK
The 193mi/311km Glasgow-Carlisle Cycle Route 7 traverses
100mi/161km in D&G from
Off-road route (Glentrool to Gatehouse Station): This off-road section of Route 7 is via the GFP.
Also see National Byway.
NEW ABBEY 84 : NX 9666 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 109 & 134)
Attractive and interesting village situated on the Pow Burn in a wooded setting is dominated by the Sweetheart Abbey ruins.
Abbey House (C17 & later): Long house, product of various phases of construction, now mainly Georgian; home of the last Abbot of New Abbey. Wall garden with pavilion.
Abbot’s Tower (C16 & 1990): A reconstructed tower house, formerly a manor tower of the lands of Landis.
Church House (1806 & later): Built as Masonic lodge, converted to a church hall 1887 and later a house. Behind is Old House (c.C17).
Corn Mill HS (c.late-C18): Renovated water-powered oatmeal mill in working order. Salmon weathervane. Waterwheel on W side.
Fishpond: Monastic fishponds by Pow Burn. The overflow channel passes under the road to join the tail-race of the mill.
Glenharvie (C18): Snuffmill was converted to a house early C19; in the garden is a 2-storey doocot.
Lochhill: An excavated long cairn has remains of timber mortuary (3700 BC).
Mill Pond: Large pond fed by a lade from the Sheep Burn. Channels lead to the fishpond and to the mill race.
Parish Graveyard: By side of abbey, with Stewarts of Shambellie burial enclosure and a Jardine “family tree” headstone. Two war graves, under care of CWGC.
St Mary RC Church (1824): Combined chapel and priest’s house in the Tudor style.
Shambellie Wood: Containing some of the finest Scots pines in the country.
The Square: The Criffel Inn (c.1900) is A&C style; it faces the C19 grey granite Abbey Arms.
Sweetheart Abbey HS (C13-C14): Impressive sandstone ruins. Last of the 3 Galloway Cistercian monasteries. Dervorguilla tomb contains her husband’s heart.
Village Hall (1892 & later): Built as the Oddfellows Hall with granite gable and a 1990 extension with piended roof.
Woman’s Guild Hall (c.1890): Small broad-eaved Gothic hall standing beside the humpbacked bridge (1715).
SSE. Ardwall: CP for easy path to the summit of Criffel.
SSW. Criffel: At 569m/1867ft is a prominent landmark and fine viewpoint at the E end of the Solway range of Galloway Hills.
SE. Ingleston Mote: A 4.5m/14.7ft high motte associated with first Anglo-Norman settlers.
W. Kinharvie: Solway Fisheries (c.1868).
S. Loch Kindar: Archaeological sites of a crannog and on an
islet, the remains of the former parish
see Arbigland, Beeswing, Cargenbridge, Carsethorn, Dumfries, Galloway Hills,
Islesteps, Kirkbean, Kirkconnell Flow,
NEWBIE 85 : NY 1865 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 138 & 186)
Newbie village was built in 1898 to serve a boilerworks; a
Area now dominated by Cochran Boilers and Chirex Pharmaceuticals factories.
Annanfoot: Site of Roman temporary camp, only visible from the air.
Barnkirk Point: Approached by Barnkirk Hill, a sandy ridge.
Remains of the steel lattice
Hayknowes: Old bacon factory.
Newbie Mains (1816): Archaeological site of
Railway: Traces of a branch trackbed that ran from the main line to serve the boilerworks, with a halt at Newbie Junction for the workmen.
W. Broom: ICI Nobel built a large explosives factory here in WW2 producing TNT until 1950s and cordite until 1992. Demolished 1992-3 but some buildings survive.
W. Royal Ordnance Powfoot (SSSI) is a protected area of wetlands
and lowland grasslands; with five of
Also see Annan, Brydekirk, Chapelcross, Cummertrees, Eastriggs, Hoddom, Powfoot, Ruthwell.
NEW GALLOWAY 77 : NX 6377 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 175)
D&G’s smallest Royal Burgh (1630) situated in the Glenkens district on the W side of the River Ken.
CatStrand: Arts & Community venue. The granite building (with
original gothic windows) was the old
Galloway Kite Trail: Circular route around Loch Ken/Raiders Road with viewing/information areas. Signposted by a Red Kite symbol.
Kells Churchyard: Interesting headstones including a gamekeeper’s grave (d.1777) & Adam & Eve stone. Anderson WW1 battlefield cross, Martyrs’ stones & Trotter tomb.
Kenmure Holms: SSSI & RSPB Nature Reserve, a protected area of wetlands. Information point in New Galloway lower car park.
Kenmure Motte: Large motte on which
Manse (1804-6 & later): To its W, the former manse of 1742-3, converted to offices in 1806.
New Galloway Golf Club (1902): A heathland 9-hole course with fine views.
Overton House (c.1900): In the garden is an early C19 octagonal pigsty/doocot.
Red Kite information board in New Galloway lower car park.
Town Hall (remodelled 1875): Above main door are the burgh crest and jougs. Clock tower and spire.
Other buildings of note: High Street granite buildings including inns, also Meadowbank (c.1800) and former Clydesdale Bank (C19 Jacobean).
W. Achie: Site of original village and Kirk.
NNE. Dalarran Holm: N of Ken Bridge on E side of river is a large standing stone, said to be the burial place of a Danish king.
S. Lowran Glen: A small waterfall descends to the A762 & Loch Ken; hidden up the N side of the burn is an impressive WW1 memorial. Loch Ken information point.
see Balmaclellan, Bread and Beer, Clatteringshaws, Corriedoo, Dalry,
NEW LUCE 82 : NX 1764 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 121)
Attractive quiet village at the junction of the Cross Water and Main Water of Luce (that form the Water of Luce) with many archaeological sites in the area.
Bridges (early-C19): The Cross Water Bridge carries Main St north/south, and the Main Water Bridge carries Station Rd.
Hall: Built as a WM in 1924.
Main Water of Luce Viaduct (1876): Impressive 12 arch viaduct
(also known as
New Luce Station (1877-1965): Slight remains of the station on the operating Stranraer-Ayr railway.
Parish Churchyard: Contains C18 headstones and 1 war grave (CWGC).
Peden Memorial Free Church (1871): The church has been
demolished, but the bellcote survives in a public garden off
SUW Information Shelter.
NE. Balmurrie (NNE of): Cairn na
SE. Balneil (E of): Archaeological sites of two
N. Barlure: Barlure Cairn.
E. Barnshangan: Archaeological sites of two
S. Cairn Mac Neilie: Remains of cairn. Further S the SUW crosses the Water of Luce by an attractive wooden suspension bridge.
E. Caves of Kilhern: Overgrown ruin of a much-disturbed Neolithic
long chambered cairn near SUW. Two other
NE. Craigiegower: Archaeological sites in the area include an enclosure and six hut circles.
SE. Cruise: Archaeological sites in the area include about six
burnt mounds and two
SSE. Cruise Back Fell: Archaeological sites include an Iron Age fort and Littlepark Cairn.
SE. Drumfleugh: Archaeological sites of burnt mounds in the area.
W. Galloway Moors SSSI: Much of the area to the W comprises part of the Glen App & Galloway Moors protection area for upland grasses & heaths.
SE. Gleniron Fell: Archaeological sites in the area include a
E. Hardcroft: Archaeological site of hut circles.
E. Knockcraven: Archaeological sites of burnt mounds and hut circles in the area.
NNE. Knockiebae: Archaeological sites in the area: See Craigiegower above.
NE. Knockiebae Lead Mines: An industrial archaeological site; lead mining ceased in the early 1950s.
NW. Little Larg (W of): Archaeological sites in area include
E. Loups of Barnshangan: Falls/cascades on the Cross Water of Fleet.
SE. Mid Gleniron: Archaeological sites in the area of two
SE. Mirren’s Croft: Archaeological site of a croft.
Also see Auchmantle, Balminnoch, Castle Kennedy, Glenluce, Glenwhilly, Laggangarn, Penwhirn.
NEWTON STEWART, CREEBRIDGE and MINNIGAFF 83 : NX 4165 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 181)
Administrative, education centre and market town situated on the River Cree. Founded as a burgh of barony in 1677.
Possible site of Roman military camp and also a Roman road that may have existed between Gatehouse of Fleet and Stranraer, but course uncertain.
Tourist Information Centre,
Auction Mart (1894): Dominated by the octagonal auction room with a cupola.
Cinema (1920): Restored and reopened in 1997.
Creebridge Cairn: Bronze Age cairn with information board - situated by Forestry Commission offices.
Creebridge Mill: Mohair and Woollens outlet.
Cumloden Waulk Mill (c.1800): Former three-storey mill, now a house retaining an internal watermill. See Queen Mary’s Bridge below.
Ewart Institute (1862-4): Built by Thomas Cook of Liverpool with octagonal tower (1869), a former school, now housing.
Galloway Arms Hotel (C18-C19): Coaching
Kirroughtree Estate: Buildings include icehouse and stables block (now housing).
Kirroughtree House (1719 & later): Country ‘wedding-cake’ house with panelled hall and stairs. Now the Kirroughtree hotel.
McMillan Hall (1884): Large public hall with French detailing, it
Minnigaff Mill (1823): Corn Mill, possibly earlier Woollen Mill. Now converted to sheltered housing.
Minnigaff old school: Now the SYHA.
Monigaff graveyard: Roofless old parish church. Burial enclosures, fine tombstones, two cross-slabs, motte, war grave (CWGC) and a 900 year old yew.
Museum (1978): Former Gothic UP Church (1877-8). Collection illustrating social life of recent centuries. Statues in front garden.
Our Lady & St Ninian’s RC Church (1875-6): Mixed Gothic and A&C style.
Queen Mary’s Bridge: On the Penkill Burn. Named after Mary, Queen of Scots who past this way from St Ninian’s shrine in 1563.
Railway (1861): Traces of station & ‘Port Line’ (1861-1965), and the Wigtownshire Railway or Whithorn branch (1875-1950 passengers, 1875-1964 freight).
Reformed Presbyterian Church (1833 & 1894): Former church with Georgian pointed windows.
Riverside walks connected by the
St Andrew’s Chapel of Rest (1894): Former S.Ep chapel of ease. Buttressed Gothic with Welsh roof slates. 1910 stained glass.
Town Hall (c.1800): Two-storey and tower with ogee cap.
West Galloway Wildlife Trail information board at Riverside CP.
Other Notable buildings: Clydesdale Bank (C19), Royal Bank of
S. Corvisel: A fine gentry house with Roman-Doric doorpiece.
NNE. Cumloden House (c.1825): Large Cottage orné built for Sir William Stewart; it has carved bargeboards and prominent eaves and a verandah at the entrance. Stables.
NE. Glenmalloch Lodge LT:
SW. High Burbuchany: Christian Centre.
N. Knockman Wood:
WSW. Merton Hall (1767 & later): A complex house with twin semicircular bows, tripartite windows, balconies, porch and conical roofs.
NNW. Whitehills (1912): Unusual for
Also see Auchinleck Bridge, Carty Port, Causeway End, Challoch, Creetown, Galloway Forest Park, Kirkcowan, Kirroughtree, Queen’s Way, Spittal, Wigtown, Wood of Cree.
NEWTON WAMPHRAY 78 : NY 1194 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 45)
Plantationfoot : Site of Wamphray Station, it closed in 1960. S of station site the road has limited headroom under the WCML, with a width of just 2.1m/7ft.
Glen: Picturesque glen with fine walks. It contains the church, mill and
Wamphray Parish Churchyard: Interesting headstones in the churchyard and a fine monument with garlanded column.
N. Broomhills: Traces of Roman road to W of railway.
N. Cogrie Viaduct: See Lochwood.
W. Woodend: Archaeological site of a fort or defended settlement, another site of a settlement lies NW at Woodend Farm.
Also see Beattock,
Boreland, Johnstonebridge, Lochwood, Moffat,
ESTUARY NSA See Arbigland, Bankend, Caerlaverock, Carsethorn,
Clarencefield, Glencaple, Kirkbean, Kirkconnell Flow,