AE 78 : NX 9889 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 62)
Forestry village created 1947 in the ‘garden-suburb’ style. It
has the shortest village name in
Mountain Bike Trails: 7stanes mountain biking centre with family and experienced rider trails.
South of Scotland Countryside Trail: 15mi/24km trail from Ae to Earshaig. Also see Earshaig.
NE. Harestanes and Hound Rigg: See Earshaig.
SW. Whitestanes Moor: Archaeological site of cairnfields, enclosures and an enclosed cremation cemetery.
Also see Amisfield, Courance, Duncow, Heathhall &
AMISFIELD 78 : NY 0082 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 62)
Amisfield House (1631 & 1837): Large house of C18 appearance. Gabled Gate Lodge. Walled garden.
Barr’s Hill: Iron Age hill fort with fine views.
Glenae House (1789-90): Creeper-clad small mansion house. On the
lawn are four C19 statues of gryphons from the
Railway (1863-1966): Traces of Caledonian Railway Dumfries-Lochmaben-Lockerbie trackbed in the area. Passenger service ceased and Amisfield Station closed 1952.
see Ae, Collin, Cargenbridge, Dalswinton,
ANNAN 85 : NY 1966 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 186)
Busy red-sandstone town on the
Third largest town in Dumfries & Galloway with a population of 8,450 (2008 estimate, GROS).
Annan Hill: Site of a Roman camp.
Annan Station (1848): The main building is in Italianate style, now a pub-restaurant.
Annan Viaduct: Carries the Carlisle-Dumfries railway over the River Annan. Just to the N is a new cycle/footbridge.
Bridge House: Mid C18 townhouse, used as
Central Hotel (1898): Grandiose Jacobean style on a triangular
site with pair of entrance towers - based on
Galabank: Annan Athletic football ground. Elected into Scottish Football League in Division 3 for 2008-9 season.
Greencroft Wynd: Tall former doocot with pyramid roof. Nearby Kingdom Hall was built as a Congregational church in 1847.
Historic Resources Centre,
Mote of Annan: Archaeological site of a motte-and-bailey.
Museum: See Historic Resources Centre above.
Newbie Junction: See Newbie.
Queensberry Arms Hotel: Late C18 with a Victorian embellished portico. In CP at rear is a tall lectern doocot (1690).
Robert the Bruce Statue: 2m high statue erected January 2010 stands on a plinth above the main entrance of the Town Hall.
St Columba’s Church (1794 & 1904): Former Congregational then RC. Stations of the Cross (1984) and painted panels (1997).
Solway Viaduct: Remains of 1.1mi/1.7km railway viaduct to Bowness
Shawhill Station (1869-1955): Now a private house on the former Kirtlebridge railway (closed passenger 1931, freight 1955). Trackbed carries wastewater pipe from Chapelcross.
Town Hall (1875-8): With a baronial spire. The inscribed Brus Stone inside may possibly be associated with Robert the Bruce. Also see Robert the Bruce statue above.
Waterfoot: Roman camp site. Remains of Barnkirk Point Lighthouse
(mid C19). Offshore is the Upper Solway Flats and Marshes (SSI): See
Other buildings of note: Old British Linen Bank, Buccleuch Arms (coaching inn), Buck Inn, Corner House Hotel, Library, Victoria Hall.
NE. Morningside: Remains of the “Three Piked Stane” standing stones, possibly remains of a stone circle; possibly site of St Margaret’s Cross. NE is site of a burial mound.
N. Warmanbie (c.1820): A Lairds House, now a hotel. In grounds are Gothic style cottages.
Also see Brydekirk, Chapelcross, Carrutherstown, Cummertrees, Eaglesfield, Eastriggs, Ecclefechan, Hoddom, Kirkpatrick Fleming, Kirtlebridge, Newbie, Powfoot, Ruthwell.
ARBIGLAND 84 : NX 9857 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 157)
C18 Georgian mansion house by William Craik. Woodland gardens
lead down to a
Birthplace of Dr Craik,
House by the Shore (1936): Dower house in Cotswold manor style.
Fine views across the
John Paul Jones Birthplace: Cottage and museum of the “The Father of the American Navy” (1747-92). Picnic Site.
McCulloch’s Castle: Archaeological site of a fort.
Powillimount: A sand and rock beach. Thirlstane is an eroded sandstone cliff, bored through by the sea.
Also see Carsethorn, Caulkerbush, Kirkbean, New Abbey, Southerness.
ARDWELL 82 : NX 1045 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 159)
Unspoiled coastal estate village for Ardwell House with mid-C19
cottages, Ardwell lies on
Ardwell House (c.1720 & 1956): Recovered laird’s house with steps to central arched doorway.
Ardwell Mains: Early C19 courtyard steading. The clock-cupola
(1884) was originally at Southwick House.
Auchness: Heavily castellated 3-storey tower (C16) linked to C19 house. Wing flanked by bay windows. Remains of a doocot.
Chapel Rossan (C19): Fine Gothick house with a semi-octagonal jamb facing the road.
S. Balgowan Farmhouse (c.1900): Delightful idiosyncratic house with semicircular central entrance.
SW. Grennan Bay SSSI: Protected geological area.
SW. Grennan Point: Archaeological site of a fort.
see Cairngarroch, Clachanmore, Drummore, Kirkmadrine, Port Logan, Sandhead,
AUCHENCAIRN 84 : NX 7951 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 154)
Attractive community founded as an agricultural village with small port at Balcary. During the C19 became a watering place.
Auchencairn Fort: Archaeological site of a univallate hillfort,
from which there are fine views of
Auchencairn WM (1920): Well kept
Burnside Guest House: ‘English’ style building over three former shops.
Collin House: Early C19 laird’s house.
Commercial Hotel (former): Late C18 three-bay gabled house.
Hass Burn: Site of ironstone mine NW of Auchenleck Farm.
Seaside Wood (S of): Archaeological sites of two settlements.
SSW. Craigrow: Site of former smuggling village.
WNW. Dungarry: On the slopes of Bentudor are the remains of Dungarry Iron Age fort.
WNW. Hass: Archaeological site of a fort.
SW. Hazelfield: A711 lay-by has a viewpoint indicator board.
SSW. Nether Hazelfield (SW of): Archaeological site of a fort.
NE. Orchardton Bay SSSI: Inlet on the
NE. Orchardton House (1881): Baronial encasing an earlier 1761 classical house; stables are in the classical style. Walled garden.
S. Rascarrel: Castle Muir (or
SSE. Rascarrel Moss: Forestry Commission woodlands. Loch Mackie is a notable small loch situated on walking routes. Copper mining traces in the area.
N. Screel Hill: Marked forest walks to in the Solway Hills with fine views. Mountain bike routes for experienced riders.
W. Suie Hill: Remains of an Iron Age fort, with good views.
Also see Balcary, Dundrennan, Gelston,
AUCHENMALG 82 : NX 2351 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 145)
Hamlet on sand/pebble beach with a holiday park and the Cock Inn.
Coastal cliff path via Mull of Sinniness to Stairhaven. The
Auchenmalg Standing Stone.
Craignarget (NE of): Archaeological site of a cairn.
Culquhasen: Archaeological site of a cairn.
High Gillespie (SE of): Archaeological site of a long cairn.
Sinniness House or The Barracks (1820): Former barracks, built to house revenue men.
NE. Knock Fell: Archaeological site of a fort.
NNW. Milton Smithy: Start of a c.3mi/4.8km dead end E road passing Whitefield Loch with a number of archaeological sites.
Also see Chapel Finian, Culshabbin, Glenluce, Stairhaven.
AUCHENSTROAN CRAIG 77 : NX 6991 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 38)
Remote road junction (B727/C51) by Fingland Moss between Stroanfreggan and Moniaive.
Yellow Craig: Archaeological sites of cairnfields.
NW. Carroch Hill: Archaeological site of a cairnfield on eastern slopes.
N. Cornharrow: Archaeological sites of cairnfields on Cornharrow Hill and Cornharrow Shoulder.
N. Wether Hill Wind Farm: Online with 14 turbines, partly visible from the B729 and Fingland Moss.
Also see Lochinvar, Moniaive, Stroanfreggan.
Remote location on the Penkill
Auchinleck (1863): Whin and sandstone baronial farmhouse. Circular stair-tower with cannon gargoyles and arrow slits.
Lady’s Linn: Waterfall on the Penkill Burn. E are remains of
SW. Glenmalloch Lodge LT: Early C19 lodge, formerly Cumloden charity school. Fully restored 2007 by Landmark Trust.
Also see Challoch,
AUCHMANTLE 82 : NX 1562 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 121)
Situated on the Castle Kennedy – New Luce road. Many cairns in the area suggest a large Bronze Age population.
Milton of Larg (N of): Archaeological site of a cairn.
Standing Stones of Glenterrow: Archaeological site of notable ‘four-poster’ stones. NE is an outlying stone.
N. Auchmantle farmstead site.
NW. Cairnscarrow: Auld Wife’s Grave is a chambered cairn.
N. Inchbread Hill: Archaeological sites in the area include burnt mounds and a hut circle. Also see New Luce (Little Larg).
NE. Mains of Larg (NNW of): Archaeological sites of two
Also see Castle Kennedy, Glenwhilly, New Luce, Penwhirn, Stranraer.
AULDGIRTH 78 : NX 9186 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 61)
Auldgirth Inn (c.1804): Built in the ‘Gothick’ style.
Auldgirth Station: Closed 1952.
Barburgh Mill (C19): Complete example of a once common woollen mill, early C19, closed 1950. Site of a Roman fortlet by quarry.
Blackwood House (C18-C20): Neo-Jacobean house. Stables court has a square doocot (interior is circular). Garden and lodge.
Low Auldgirth: Site of
Mullach: Archaeological site of a vitrified fort; also site of a beacon (c.C15).
NW. Whitespots: Archaeological sites of an enclosure.
Also see Barjang, Closeburn, Dalswinton, Duncow, Dunscore, Ellisland, Gatelawbridge, Glenmidge, Holywood, Irongray, Keir Mill, Kirkton, Lincluden, Thornhill, Wallaceton.
BALCARY 84 : NX 8249 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 167)
Scenic coastal walks on this smugglers coast (SSSI) include
Airds Point: Adam’s Chair is a rock platform believed to have been a smugglers’ lookout point. Archaeological remains in area.
Auchencairn Bay SSSI.
Auchencairn Estate: Striking tall castellated lodge (late C19) with a walled garden.
Auchencairn House (c.1860): Rebuilt and extended for Ivie Mackie,
Lord Mayor of
Balcary Bay Country House Hotel (c.1800 & C20 extensions): A
former haunt of smugglers, situated on
Balcary Fishery (C19): A surviving centre of stake-net fishing
for salmon in D&G. Nets stretch out to
Balcary Tower (mid C19 and later): Picturesquely sited on a promontory, a fortified house or tower on 2-storey wing. Idiosyncratic detailing.
Boathouse: Former lifeboat station (1884-1931); nearby is a small fine cliff top garden. Both viewed from the Balcary Point footpath.
Also see Auchencairn,
BALMACLELLAN 77/84 : NX 6579 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 79)
Attractive C19 Galloway village on steep hillside. Village had links with the Cistercians at Dundrennan for sheep farming.
Clog and Shoe Workshop. Pottery.
Grennan Mill (C19): Last used 1950. Cast-iron water-wheel still usable. Milling recorded on this site since 1506.
Holm Lodge (C19): Gives a good impression of the Elizabethan style Holm House that was demolished in the 1970s. Snoozing lion gateposts.
Norman Motte (C12 or C13): Well-preserved motte behind the church.
Parish Churchyard: Statue (restored 2000) of the mason-engraver Robert Paterson, ‘Old Mortality’ & his pony. Notable stones include a Covenanter’s stone and a war grave.
WM: Situated on E road junction above the village. Balmaclellan Information board and viewpoint.
Water of Ken Woods SSSI: Protected old woodlands, the site comprises 5 woods in the Water of Ken valley, 1 of which is near Grennan Mill. Also see Glenlee.
E. Troquhain: Altered house of the early C19. Notable sundial (1855).
see Bread and Beer, Clatteringshaws, Corriedoo, Dalry, Glenlee, Ironmacannie,
Lochinvar, New Galloway,
BALMAGHIE 83/84 : NX 7266 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 105)
Balmaghie House: See Glenlochar.
Churchyard: The author, S.R. Crockett is buried here. Monument to the Rev McKie. Covenanters’ stones. War grave (CWGC).
River Dee (Parton-Crossmichael) SSSI: See
W. Dornell (or Dornells) Estate: See Laurieston.
NW. Ken-Dee Marshes: SSSI & RSPB Nature Reserve. 1.5mi/2.4km walk to the hide from the CP at Mains of Duchrae farm entrance. Information point.
NW. Red Kite information and viewing point at RSPB Nature Reserve.
BALMINNOCH 82 : NX 2765 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 122-123)
Black Loch, Loch Heron (with a crannog) and Loch Ronald lie S of the remote Classoch Bridge-New Luce/Glenluce moorland road.
NW. Artfield Fell Wind Farm: Online with 15 turbines.
WSW. Gas: Torwood House Hotel is a former hunting lodge.
Also see Glenluce, High Eldrig, Kirkcowan, Knowe, New Luce.
BANKEND 84 : NY 0268 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 110)
Small C19 village. Humpbacked bridge (1812-3) with small obelisks.
Mid Locharwoods: Formerly a Scottish Labour Colony, a charity that provided farm work for able unemployed.
ENE. Longbridge Muir SSSI: Remote protected area of wetlands.
NW. Trohaughon: Excavations in area revealed possible line of
BANKSHILL 79 : NY 1981 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 88)
Hill hamlet in the parish of Tundergarth. Bankshill House (c.C17) is a former coaching inn
SW. Mosshead Hill: Archaeological site of an enclosed settlement.
SE. Stockbridgehill (E of): Archaeological site of a settlement.
SW. Tundergarth: Memorial Room to the Pan Am 1988 disaster. The principal sections of the aircraft crashed into the field opposite the church.
SW. Tundergarth Parish Graveyard: Ruins of old parish church (1771-2). 1760 headstone of George McLean with full-length portrait.
ESE. Minsca Hill wind farm with 16 turbines.
ENE. Whiteholm Rigg: The ‘Seven Brethren’ is a dishevelled stone circle, 8 stones remain (one is to the N), but only 4 are in situ.
ENE. Whitstone Hill: Archaeological site of an oval settlement (55m/180ft by 45m/148ft) on the relatively flat top of the hill.
Also see Burnswark
Hill, Corrie Common, Craighousesteads, Eaglesfield, Ecclefechan,
BARGRENNAN 76/77 : NX 3476 & 3576 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 74)
Church (1838-9): Small church with gabled belfry. Built as chapel of ease of Minnigaff. Interior 1909.
Garlies Lodge (1910): Unusual corrugated-iron bungalow, with wood-framed veranda all round.
ROC Monitoring Post (1964-91): Extant surface features of an underground post.
Whitecairn: Marrbury Smokehouse.
NNW. White Cairn (Bargrennan): Archaeological site of a cairn.
Also see Challoch, Corrafeckloch,
BARJARG 78 : NX 8790 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 41)
Barjarg Estate: C19 Gothick Lodge and gateway at SE entrance. Gates possibly from former Dumfries Prison. Second lodge at SW. Short tunnel for public road under estate.
Boatcroft: Site of former Boatcroft Ferry across the River Nith.
Limeworks: There were important mines and works at Barjarg and Porterstown, remains of kilns in the area.
SSE. Barndennoch: Archaeological site of three ring ditches.
W. Breconside Hill: The Preaching Stone on Barjarg Moor is where the Rev James Renwick preached during the persecution, he was executed in 1688. Also see Moniaive.
Also see Auldgirth, Dalswinton, Dunscore, Ellisland, Glenmidge, Keir Mill, Penpont, Thornhill, Wallaceton.
BEATTOCK 78 : NT 0702 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 28-29)
Small C19-C20 village situated on the Evan Water in Upper Annandale with several archaeological sites and a number of notable Roman remains and sites.
Bankend: Site of a Roman camp on right bank of Evan Water. Course of Roman road.
Barnhill: S of road of are two sites of Roman camps, and a possible site of a Roman fortlet. Course of Roman road.
Beattock House: Red sandstone villa of c.1870 with extravagantly carved bargeboards.
Beattock Station: Closed in 1972, reopening is proposed for projected local rail service on the WMCL. Also see Rail Sheds and Railways below.
Craigielands (1817): Striking Grecian house by William Burn. N and S Lodges in classical style. Stables, walled garden, country park.
Crooked Road: Aptly named road accents Beattock Hill from the railway bridge (with little used but necessary traffic lights).
Evan Water: Flows E to enter the River Annan together with Moffat Water at Threewater Foot.
Garpol Glen: Picturesque glen with waterfalls, borders Auchen Castle estate. Also see Garpol Water below.
Horse-mill: By the railway bridge on
Kirkpatrick-Juxta Parish Churchyard: Notable headstones and monument. Three war graves, under care of CWGC.
Old Brig Inn (1822): Probably designed in Thomas Telford’s
office. Extensive stabling from it’s coaching days.
Outdoor Centre: Former school from c.1875.
Rail Sheds: From here in steam days bankers (locomotives) would push northbound main line trains up to Beattock Summit.
Railways: Moffat branch closed 1964, traces of trackbed to E. The WCML was opened by Caledonian Railways 1847-8, the line being electrified in 1974.
SUW Information Shelter.
NNW. Auchen Castle Hotel (1869): Large overgrown picturesque country house with ornate interior.
NNW. Auchen Castle turn (B7076): 1m footpath descends and ascends via 2 tunnels and 80 steps under the split-level A74(M) then via Coats Hill to Moffat (by Golfhill Drive).
W. Beattock Hill: See Earshaig.
NNW. Blacklaw: See Moffat.
E. Breconside (C17): Rubble-built house; projecting from the centre of the W front is a semi-octagonal stair tower. Remains of C16 tower are incorporated into the farmhouse.
E. Breconside Hill: Archaeological sites in the area of burnt mounds and an enclosure.
ESE. The Dod: Archaeological site of a fort.
NW. Garpol Water: Archaeological sites of burnt mounds,
SW. Knock Hill: Archaeological sites of a fort.
SE. Milton or Milton of Tassieholm: A major Roman site of a fort, fortlet and two camps on course of Roman road.
Also see Courance,
Earshaig, Ericstane, Greenhillstairs, Johnstonebridge, Lochwood, Moffat,
BEESWING 84 : NX 8969 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 108)
Village named after a horse that enabled a C19 butler to buy an inn here, which he renamed Beeswing. The church retains the original village name of Lochend.
Killywhan: Trace of ‘Port Line’ railway trackbed in the area (1859-1965). Killywhan Station (closed 1959) is now an extended house retaining the long platform.
Locharthur Community (part of the Camphill Village Community): Includes awarded house (2001) for people with special needs.
Lotus House (early C19): Mansion with main door approached by a perron. Now part of the Locharthur Community.
NE. Lochanhead: Traces of ‘Port Line’ railway trackbed in the area (1859-1965). Lochanhead Station closed 1939; the station house later converted to a private residence.
Also see Cargenbridge, Dalbeattie, Dumfries, Kirkgunzeon,
BENTPATH and WESTERKIRK 79 : NY 3190 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 48)
Lonely scattered Eskdale village with narrow bridge (1734-7) surrounded by the Lowland Hills. Parish known as Westerkirk.
Boonies: Archaeological site of an enclosure and a settlement.
Boyken Burn: Archaeological excavation site of a settlement.
Mid Knock: SW are archaeological sites of an enclosure and an unenclosed settlement.
Mid Knock Hill: Extant surface features of a ROC underground monitoring post (1959-68).
Thomas Telford Cairn (2007): A cairn and plaque and a trail across the area commemorates the 250th anniversary of his birth. Also see Glendinning.
Westerhall House (C17 & later): Laird’s house remodelled and extended, it incorporates a tower. House repaired/rebuilt after fires in 1873 and 1955.
Westerkirk Parish Churchyard: Dominated by the classical Johnstone Mausoleum built 1790 by Robert Adam. War grave (CWGC).
Westerkirk Parish Library (1860-3): Founded by the Glendinning antimony miners. Many leather bound books line the shelves.
White House: Built as Westerkirk Parish Manse in 1783 but much extended later.
NW. Bankburnfoot: Archaeological sites of an
enclosure and settlements. NW is Bank Head Hill:
SSW. Calkin: Archaeological sites in the area include settlements.
SE. Craig Hill: Archaeological site of an unfinished fort and a later settlement.
NW. Crooks: Archaeological site of a settlement.
NNW. Effgill: Archaeological sites in the area include two settlements.
NW. Enzieholm: Bogie Walls is an archaeological site of a fort. Nearby is Craig wind farm, online with 4 turbines.
NW. Georgefield: Archaeological site of a settlement.
NNE. Glenkeil Hill: Archaeological sites of a settlement.
SE: Little Hill: Archaeological sites of two forts.
WNW. Lyneholm: Archaeological site of a settlement.
NW. Shielburnfoot: Archaeological sites of settlements.
WNW. White Birren: Archaeological site of a settlement.
Also see Castle O’er, Eskdalemuir, Ewes, Glendinning, Langholm, Staplegordon.
BLACKGANNOCH 71/78 : NS 7517 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 2)
Remote site, where a remnant of the Covenanters (known as Cameronians) retained their faith. Covenanter’s Memorial Wall.
A 4.4mi/7km footpath (an old drove road) leads E across the
North Lowther Uplands (or Muirkirk & North Lowther Uplands) SPA & SSSI: Protected area of uplands and heath with special protection for upland birds. Also see Corsebank.
Sanquhar–Muirkirk old drove road - now track and footpath, leads NW off the tarmac road at Fingland.
NNW. Threeshire Hill, northernmost point in D&G and boundary
with East Ayrshire and
Also see Kirkconnel, Lowther Hills, Sanquhar.
BLADNOCH and BALDOON 83 : NX 4254 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 188)
Small self-contained village close to Wigtown on the Bladnoch Water with remains of an old quay and a standing stone.
Baldoon Airfield: WW2 airfield and air observer school; known as RAF Wigtown. During 1941-45, 67 lives were lost in 27 air crashes. Remains of WW2 buildings.
Baldoon Hill: Archaeological site of a fort. To W side of hill & E of A714 is site of RAF Wigtown accommodation camp; a few huts remain of the original 165 buildings/shelters.
Baldoon Mains (c.1840): Large steading, the N side wall of which
is probably C17, surviving from
Bladnoch Creamery (1899 & 1907): A utilitarian red brick building, now disused.
Bladnoch Distillery (1817 & later): Once Scotland’s most southerly malt whisky distillery with a pagoda-roofed kiln. Visitor Centre. Motif is a helleborine, a rare local orchid.
Cotland Plantation SSSI: Protected area of woodland.
Crook of Baldoon: Planned RSPB coastal wetland nature reserve; the site being important for the tens of thousands of wintering wildfowl and wading birds.
Wigtownshire Railway (1876-1964): Traces of trackbed in the area
with remains of the
BOMBIE 83/84 : NX 7150 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 153)
Bombie Farm: The first successful milking machine with pulsators was invented here.
Castle Creavie: Archaeological sites of C&R, a dun and a settlement.
High Banks: One of the best displays of rock art in
Also see Boreland of Borgue,
BORELAND 79 : NY 1791 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 46)
Situated on the Dyrfe Water with a number of archaeological remains in the surrounding area.
Gillesbie: NE of Gillesbie House are remains of C16 tower-house set onto a river cliff. Surrounded on three sides by a possibly earlier earthwork that is truncated by the road.
Hutton Motte: Archaeological site of a motte.
Parish Churchyard: Fine C17-C18 stones. Three war graves, under care of CWGC.
ROC Monitoring Post (1964-68): Extant surface features of underground post.
NW. Alais Knowe: Archaeological site of a fort.
W. Broom Hill: Archaeological site of a fort.
NNE. Macmaw: The Dyrfe Water to the S of Macmaw is a SSSI wetlands protected area.
NNE. Waterhead: Archaeological sites of a rectangular enclosure (N), and a fort on Carthur Hill (WSW).
Also see Corrie
Common, Lockerbie, Moffat Hills,
BORELAND OF BORGUE 83 : NX 6451 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 152)
Boreland Motte (c.C12): Well-preserved motte associated with first Anglo-Norman settlers. Further N is an earthwork site.
Compstonend: Archaeological site of Castle Hill (or Cumstounend) Fort.
Conchieton: Archaeological sites of a cairn and fort (or Conchieton Doon).
see Bombie, Borgue,
BORGUE 83 : NX 6248 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 164-165)
Small village, mostly C19. Late C19 Borgue Hotel.
Borgue House (mid C19): Broad-eaved Italianate-classical laird’s house.
Borgue Old House: Roofless remains of substantial C17 mansion with large partly enclosed garden.
Free Church (1843).
Parish Churchyard: Gothic Mausoleum of the Gordons of Earlston (C19). Two war graves (CWGC).
NW. Barmagachan: Early C18 laird’s house. W of house, a small 6m/19.7ft high motte with slight remains of a ditch round the base.
see Boreland of Borgue,
BREAD AND BEER 77/84 : NX 6979 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 80)
Bread and Beer Cottage stands on the A712.
Lowes Lochs: Knowetop Lochs SWT Reserve.
Also see Balmaclellan, Corsock, Dalry, Ironmacannie, New Galloway.
BRIDGE OF DEE 83/84 : NX 7360 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 131)
Railway (1864-1965): Traces of Kirkcudbright branch railway
SW. Argrennan House (1818): Neo-Greek mansion formerly known as Deebank. Rear wing is an older C18 house. Walled garden and rose garden with fountain.
SW. Argrennan Lodge: Early C19 cottage with lattice windows and spindly Gothic porch.
Also see Balmaghie, Buittle, Castle Douglas, Clarebrand, Crossmichael, Gelston, Glenlochar, Kirkcudbright, Laurieston, Rhonehouse & Kelton, Ringford, Tongland, Twynholm.
Borness SSSI: Borness Batteries is an Iron Age fort.
Rockvale Pier (C18): Short rubble pier with small warehouse at landward end, built for coastal trading vessels.
Senwick House (c.1800 & later): Rendered main block with later additions. 1879 lodge.
NNE. Clauchendolly: Originally an old smithy. SW are about 20 panels of C&R.
ENE. Frenchman’s Rock: In the C17? French pirates pillaged
ENE. Senwick: Rubble of C12-C13 Senwick Church and Manse, abandoned 1670. C18 burial enclosure and monuments in churchyard.
Also see Boreland of
BROOMHOLM 79 : NY 3781 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 68 & 91)
Estate and mansion on the River Esk and N of Tarras Water.
Broomholm Knowe: Remains of Roman fort.
Tarras Tileworks (c.1900): A late example of a drainage-tile
works on the Buccleuch estate.
Tarras Viaduct (1864): Traces of the Border Union (later North British) Langholm branch railway over Tarras Water and district. Closed to passengers 1964, freight 1967.
Tarras Water: NNE lie the Langholm & Newcastleton Hills (SSSI). See Tarras Lodge.
Also see Canonbie, Evertown, Ewes, Gilnockie, Harelaw, Langholm, Rowanburn, Tarras Lodge, Staplegordon, Wauchope Schoolhouse.
BRYDEKIRK 85 : NY 1870 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 113)
Planned village on the River Annan laid out as a gridiron in 1800
for Colonel Dirom of
Brydekirk Mains: Part of steading is the gable wall of a C17
laird’s house, likely to be remains of
Cleughhead (1840): Single storey sandstone villa and lodge.
St Bryde’s Kirk: Remains of medieval church lie to the W of Brydekirk Mains. Church likely to have been in use from C12 to C16.
St Bryde’s Well: Natural spring NNW of St Bryde’s Kirk; it flows into a medieval stone basin.
NNE. Luce Churchyard: Remains of graveyard at Luce Mains of a medieval parish with a few C18 headstones and mausoleum of the Irvings of Luce.
SE. Mount Annan: House and estate lie to the east of the River Annan.
see Annan, Burnswark Hill, Carrutherstown, Chapelcross, Cummertrees,
BUITTLE 84 : NX 8161 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 132)
The Parish of Buittle (pronounced Bittel) takes its name from
Buittle (or Botel) Castle (c.1230): Ruins of a motte-and-bailey
Graves (CWGC): Two war graves in Parish Churchyard and one in
NNW. Buittle Station: See Haugh of Urr
W. Dalbeattie Reservoir: Rumbling Well (a natural spring) is mentioned in 1684 as a spring for sick people, here they left money or clothes as a thanks offering.
BURNSWARK HILL 85 : NY 1878 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 88)
Prominent hill with twin summits dominates
Bronze Age: Earliest surviving monument is a round cairn of c.1000 BC. It stands within ramparts of a C6 or C5 BC fort.
Iron Age: Site of fort with settlements lying to the E and W of the hill.
Roman: Extensive fortlet and two camp sites dating from C6 BC to C2 AD. Remains of practice works and siegeworks. Traces of Roman road lead NW & SE from S of hill.
Also see Bankshill, Brydekirk, Eaglesfield, Ecclefechan, Hoddom, Kettleholm, Kirtlebridge, Lockerbie, Middlebie, Waterbeck.
CAERLAVEROCK 84 : NY 0265 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 135-136)
Caerlaverock Castle HS (Late C13): Region’s premier castle in red sandstone built by the Maxwells. Unique triangular layout with twin-towered gatehouse, surrounded by moat.
Caerlaverock NNR, SSSI: Situated on Merse wetland with views of Criffel. Notable for thousands of winter geese, notably barnacle geese.
Lantonsite: Site of a Roman Antonine fortlet.
Ward Law: Site of a Roman encampment or possible fort. Archaeological site of an enclosure or Iron Age fort. Fine views.
E. Eastpark: Caerlaverock Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust.
Also see Bankend, Glencaple, Ruthwell.
CAIRNGARROCH 82 : NX 0549 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 158)
Cairngarroch Cliffs: Plaque commemorates 22 deaths when a US Dakota Air Ambulance crashed here 27 July 1944.
Cairnmon Fell area: Archaeological sites of an enclosure, floats and hut circles.
Whirlpool: Standing stone.
NW. Kirklauchline: Archaeological site of a fort.
Also see Ardwell,
Clachanmore, Kirkmadrine, Knockinaam, Lochans, Portpatrick, Sandhead,
CAIRNRYAN 82 : NX 0668 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 94-95)
Ferry terminals and village of white houses, once known as Macherie, lies on the east side of Loch Ryan sheltered by Cairn Point.
Important military and stand-by emergency port during WW2. Parts
of the ‘
Cairnryan Military Railway (1941-1959/1962): Traces of the short-lived railway between Stranraer Exchange and Old House Point. It was dismantled 1967.
Harbour: Began in mid-C19, much expanded1939-45. To S is a small early C19 battlemented tower.
Lochryan House (1701 & later): Unusual Dutch-style building with lean-to-roofs from wings to central section.
Lochryan House Grounds: Entrance through high wall with cannon. Fine C18 garden with circular doocot (1846) and pavilions.
Stena Line Ferry Terminal (2011): New Superferry terminal at Port
Ryan for sailings to/from
P&O Ferry Terminal: Terminal at Cairnryan for sailings to/from Larne.
NNW. Marchburn: D&G and South Ayrshire boundary on the A77. (Not to be confused with Marchburn boundary on the A76: See Kirkconnel).
NNE. Milldown Hill: Archaeological site of Long Tom standing stone.
N. ‘Taxing Stone’: Toll point and standing stone believed to mark the burial-place of Alpin, King of Dalriada, killed in 741 in Glenapp. Nearby is a disused gun battery.
Also see Castle Kennedy, Innermessan, Stranraer.
CANONBIE 85 : NY 3976 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 91)
Pleasant curving village with two old coaching inns, standing on a bend of the River Esk. Site of Augustinian priory.
Canonbie Coalfield: See Rowanburn.
Canonbie Station: See Rowanburn.
Oldkiln Knowe: Archaeological site of a cairn.
Parish Churchyard: War grave (CWGC), mausoleum, monuments, and a long line of C18 headstones.
Priorslynn Farm (C18-C19): Clay building with oak crucks, best survivor of its type in D&G.
Riverside Inn: Converted from a guesthouse in 1974.
WM (1921): Bronze statue of a mourning soldier.
Woodslee: Early C19 mansion house. To S is an archaeological site of a burial mound.
Also see Broomholm, Chapelknowe, Evertown, Gilnockie, Harelaw, Langholm, Rowanburn, Scots’ Dike, Wauchope Schoolhouse.
CAPPLEGILL 78 : NT 1409 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 15)
Location in the Moffat Hills close to the Moffat Water and Blackhope Burn. Moffat Water rises on the slopes of White Coomb and flows SW to the River Annan.
Capplegill: Behind the old telephone exchange building is an archaeological site of a settlement.
Roundstonefoot: Site of ‘Runstonfoote’ Castle or tower. Archaeological sites in the area include 3 burnt mounds and 2 settlements.
NE. Carrifran: Archaeological site of a cairn.
NNE. Carrifran Burn: A pre-afforestation survey of Carrifran Wildwood in 1997 found sites of cairnfields, a farmstead and several shieling huts.
SSW. Selcoth: Archaeological site of a scooped settlement.
NW. Hart Fell: At 808m/2651ft, the 4th highest point in D&G, it stands on the boundary line of Scottish Borders.
Also see Grey Mare’s Tail, Moffat, Moffat Hills.
CARDONESS and SKYREBURN 83 : NX 5653 & 5754 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 150)
Ardwall House: Well-preserved modest classical mansion built
1762, with later extensions. C11 incised cross from
Cardoness Chapel: Minute gabled building closed to seashore. One
of the smallest chapels in
Cardoness House (1889): Built as large baronial mansion, but much reduced in size 1959-60.
Cardoness Lodge (c.1900): Has a circular-section tower.
Kirkbride: Lady’s Well is a natural spring, possibly once known as a holy well.
Kirkbride Enclosure: Previously believed to be site of a church and burial ground, the enclosure is more likely to represent the remains of a prehistoric settlement.
N. Kings Laggan: Remains of a copper mine.
NNW. Lauchentyre: Situated on the old
NW. Skyreburn Grasslands SSSI: See Glenquicken Moor.
see Boreland of Borgue,
CARGENBRIDGE 84 : NX 9574 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 176)
Carruchan: Mid-C19 H-plan house with one octagonal and one round tower.
Curriestanes: Archaeological site of a cursus – a long avenue defined by two parallel earthen banks with ditches outside.
DuPont Complex: Modern factory producing polypropylene packaging film.
ICI Nobel built the Drungans explosive factory here in WW2 to produce guncotton and chemicals for Edingham (Dalbeattie). Demolished in the 1990s, some buildings remain.
Railway: Track truncated S of Garroch Viaduct at factory until 2005, now developed as a cycle route. Once the main ‘Port Line’ line to Stranraer with its ‘Paddy trains’ (1859-1965).
Terraughtie (1825): Situated off former A75, a small austere Tudor style country house.
WNW. Cargen Glen: Route of original A75 (Glen road). On N side of
Cargen Water is a motte, the site of
W. Castle Hill: Situated between the new A75 (Glen road) and the
SE. Dalskairth Hill:
SE. Dalskairth House (C18): Classical mansion, Queen Anne style wings added 1899. Interior sadly now derelict.
SE. Dalskairth Lodge (C19): Former stables of house. Original entrance now covered by modern conservatory.
SE. Goldielea House (1785 & 1857): Elongated 3-storey, five-bay mansion. Picturesque backdrop by viaduct.
SE. Goldielea Viaduct (1859): High former railway curved viaduct with 10 arches that dwarfs the house below.
SE. Goldielea Wood: Tregallon Mote is an archaeological site of an earthwork.
SE. Hills Wood: The
Also see Amisfield, Beeswing, Collin, Dumfries, Heathhall & Locharbriggs, Holywood, Irongray, Islesteps, Kirkconnell Flow, Kirkton, Lincluden, Lochfoot, Mabie Forest, New Abbey, Terregles, Tinwald, Torthorwald.
CARRICK SHORE, KNOCKBREX and SANDGREEN 83 : NX 5749-50 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 150 & 164)
Fine small rock and sand bays situated on
Ardwall Isle (C6-C7): One of the Islands of Fleet, excavation has indicated an Irish-style Christian shrine, timber chapel, cross and carved stones.
Boreland Wood: Archaeological site of a defended settlement, first recorded 2002.
Carrick Ponds SSSI: Protected wetlands.
Knockbrex: Estate acquired by James Brown in 1895 to begin an ambitious idiosyncratic building programme. Also see Kirkandrews.
Knockbrex Bathing House: Situated on the shore disguised as a mini-Moorish castle.
Knockbrex Hill: Viewpoint reached by marked footpath from
Knockbrex House (1900): First project by James Brown, with Edwardian classicism and luxurious A&C interior.
Knockbrex Stables (1900): Four ranges round a courtyard. Cupola over the pend entrance. Contemporary walled garden behind.
Sandgreen: Situated on
Also see Borgue, Cardoness, Gatehouse of Fleet, Girthon, Kirkandrews.
CARRONBRIDGE 78 : NX 8797 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 25 & 41)
A Nithsdale ducal village in a fine setting. SW the Carron Water joins the River Nith. Site of Roman camp and a possible fort or fortlet, also enclosures.
Cairnpark: Site of a WW2 RAF camp, NW the site of a POW camp. E is an archaeological site of a circular enclosure.
Carronhill: House with two faces. The piend-roofed W part is 1827. The Tudor E block is mid-C19.
Carronhill Viaduct: 6-span structure built by John Miller for the
Carron Linn: Nature walk.
Halo Trust: Administration headquarters of the charity specialising in the removal of mines and other debris of war.
Waterside Mains: Site of Roman camp; nearby are possible traces of a Roman road.
NNE. Carronbank: By the old station approach is Carronbridge WM.
NNE. Gill Water Railway Viaduct (1850); W is an archaeological site of an earthworks.
NNE. River Carron Railway Viaducts (1850): Carronbridge Station closed 1953, now a private house. N is the 1410yd Drumlanrig Tunnel (1289m/4230ft).
NE. Morton Castle HS (c.1260 to 1714): Non-defensive structure with only main S range and a segment of a round tower standing.
Also see Closeburn, Dalveen, Drumlanrig, Durisdeer, Enterkinfoot, Gatelawbridge, Keir Mill, Penpont, Thornhill.
CARRUTHERSTOWN 85 : NY 1071 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 112)
Formerly a wayside village (now bypassed) with attractive modern primary school (1974).
Denbie House (1706): Five-bay country house with C18-C19 additions. 1775 octagonal doocot with roof lantern. Lodge.
Hetland House (1868 & 1925): Neo-Georgian country house with fine interior plasterwork. Used as seminary from 1965. Now a hotel.
see Annan, Brydekirk, Clarencefield, Collin, Cummertrees,
CARSETHORN 84 : NX 9959 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 135)
Small attractive former port with The Steamboat Inn. Fine views
across the Solway Firth to Annan, Silloth and
Oak seat opposite The Steamboat is designed as a boat celebrates the maritime heritage of the Solway and Nith Estuary. Also see Glencaple.
A wooden pier (1840) was built here for the Dumfries-Liverpool steam-packet service.
Former Coastguard Station: At S end of village, it has a small look-out tower.
Harbour Master’s House: Carsethorn’s grandest building at the N end of village.
Also see Arbigland, Caulkerbush, Kirkbean, New Abbey, Southerness.
CARSLUITH 83 : NX 4854 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 149)
Hamlet situated alongside the scenic
Salmon stake-nets in the Cree estuary and the smokehouse are witness to fishing industries.
Bagbie: Archaeological sites of the Standing Stone of Bagbie and a cairn.
N. Blackmyre: C&R, casts of which are in
NNW. Glebe House (C19): Former manse, with curious inset central bay.
N. Kirkmabreck Quarries: Granite quarries and pier (C19-C20), a
quay on the Cree Estuary (SSI) and
N. ROC Monitoring Post (1959-68): Above N side of Kirkmabreck Quarries are extant surface features of an underground post, nearby are remains of an Orlit observation post.
Also see Cardoness, Creetown, Glenquicken Moor, Kirkdale, Kirroughtree, Mossyard.
CARSPHAIRN 77 : NX 5693 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 36)
Small remote village and former staging post on the Water of Deugh at an altitude of 180m/591ft. It is situated between two ranges of hills and noted for minerals.
Cairn Avel: Neolithic long cairn.
Carsphairn Heritage Centre (1990): Display of local prehistoric archaeology and information.
Holm of Daltallochan: Archaeological sites of a standing stone and a stone circle. A cross incised slab is set on end in a shrubbery of the farm garden.
Inns: Former coaching inn now converted to flats whilst Greystones is a converted cottage.
Lagwine: Possible site of the
Parish Graveyard: Collection of C18 headstones. John Loudon MacAdam grave (1836). A fine example of a Covenanter’s memorial. Burial enclosure. Two war graves (CWGC).
ROC Monitoring Post (1962-91): Extant surface features of an underground post.
NW. Brochloch (or Brockloch): See Drumjohn.
S. Bardennoch Hill (S of): Archaeological site with stone crosses and other remains in the area.
NE. Cairnsmore of Carsphairn: At 797m/2615ft, the 6th highest point in D&G.
W. Garryhorn Farm: Used by the notorious Robert Grierson of Lagg and his troops for their forays against the Covenanters.
WSW. Meaul Hill: At about 610m/2000ft a remote plaque and boulder mark the spot where Grierson of Lag’s dragoons executed the Covenanter John Dempster.
WSW. Merrick-Kells SSSI covers a wide area including Meaul Hill.
NW. Woodhead (1840-73): Significant remains of large lead-mining complex include smelter & flues, chimneys, houses & school. Copper, silver and zinc were also found here.
Also see Drumjohn,
Situated on part of the Cree Estuary (SSSI), the site of former quay and tileworks.
Carse of Barr: Traces of the Cree Railway Viaduct (dismantled 1996) and approaches on the old ‘Port Line’.
Lamachan View: St Ninian’s Well is a natural spring, listed in C19 as a holy well.
Tropic House: Display of carnivorous plants (reopens summer 2008); farm shop.
SE. Moss of Cree: Raised bog under protection of Forestry Commission. CP and information boards at Polwhilly.
Also see Bladnoch, Causeway End, Challoch, Kirroughtree,
CASTLE DOUGLAS 84 : NX 7662 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 184)
Successful grid planned market town founded around Carlingwark in the C18. Commercial capital of the former Stewartry area.
Tourist Information Centre in Market Hill CP, open summer only.
Auction Mart (c.1900): Octagonal auction room with pyramidal roof.
Carlingwark House (1840 & later): Castellated villa with round tower.
Carlingwark Loch SPA & SSSI: Pleasant loch with parklands,
walks and boat hire at
Cemetery: Includes 12 war graves, under the care of CWGC.
Clock Tower (1934-5): This tall octagonal tower replaced late-C18 town house and steeple destroyed by fire.
Ernespie House (Urr Valley Country House Hotel): Built c.1800, extended C19 in a castellated manner. Jacobean porch.
Ernespie House Grounds: Redwood lined estate road. Remains of a stone circle.
Garden Hill Primary Care Centre (2007): Health and Social Services Centre.
Gordon Memorial Hall (2001): Adjoins St Ninian’s
Inns/Hotels of note: Douglas Arms and former Merrick, both built as coaching inns. Crown (Georgian) and Imperial (Tudor style).
Library (1902-4): Jacobean red sandstone with circular tower. Art gallery extension (1938).
Mileage panel (1827): Mounted on wall N side of
Railway: Traces in the area of former ‘Port Line’ railway to
St John the Evangelist RC Church (1867-8): Large French Gothic church with small spire.
Sulwath Brewery: Exhibits of traditional brewing process.
Torrs Hill: Archaeological site of a fort.
Torrs Moss SSSI: Protected wetland area.
Town Hall (1862-3 & 1902): Built in the Italianate style.
UP Church (1870): Gable with recessed arch and containing rose window.
Other notable buildings: Clydesdale Bank, Royal Bank of
WSW. Kelton Mains Open Farm: CP and Visitor Centre for
Threave Castle HS, NTS, SPA & SSSI: Stark C14 preserved historic tower
& harbour on
W. Threave Wildfowl Refuge NTS, SPA & SSSI: Covers marshes, river and former railway line with five hides.
Also see Balmaghie, Bridge of Dee, Buittle, Clarebrand, Crossmichael, Dalbeattie, Gelston, Glenlochar, Haugh of Urr, Kirkpatrick Durham, Knockvennie, Laurieston, Old Bridge of Urr, Palnackie, Parton, Ringford, Rhonehouse & Kelton, Springholm.
CASTLEFAIRN 77 : NX 7386 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 58)
Lochrinnie Mote: Motte-and-bailey formed (c.C12) stands at the conjunction of the Blackmark and Minnygryle Burns as they form Castlefairn Water. Just W is a hole stone.
Watch Knowe: Archaeological site of an Iron Age earthwork, possibly of Roman influence.
SE. Loch Urr:
Also see Corriedoo,
CASTLE KENNEDY 82 : NX 1059 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 120)
Auchrochar Wetlands SSSI: Protected area situated to the south side of the A75 trunk road W of Inch.
Castle Kennedy Airfield (1941): Traces of a WW2 military
Castle Kennedy Lochs: Originally one loch, now Black Loch (or Crinidil Loch) with crannogs, and White Loch (or Loch Inch). Also see White Loch-Loch Inch below.
Castle Kennedy Station: (1861-1965): Slight remains on the Stranraer-Ayr railway.
Inch Old Parish Churches: Slight remains of a medieval church and roofless ruin of a later church (1770-c.1861) in walled burial-ground near White Loch. C18 gravestones.
Inch Parish Churchyard: Contains 4 war graves, under care of CWGC.
SUW Information Shelter.
White Loch-Loch Inch SSSI: Protected wetlands area.
W. Aird: Traces of trackbed and buildings of the Cairnryan Military Railway (1941-1959/1962) to the S of Lime Kiln Road at the former Aird Camp site.
WSW. Galla Hill: Archaeological site of a mound, possibly a prehistoric barrow.
NW. Inchparks: Cairn Mac Neilie.
Also see Auchmantle,
Cairnryan, Dunragit, Glenluce, Innermessan, Leswalt, Lochans, New Luce,
CASTLE O’ER 79 : NY 2492 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 47)
Waymarked forest walks from CPs. E are archaeological sites of a enclosure and two settlements. Also see Bentpath.
Castle O’er Hill Fort: Iron Age fort with multiple defences. Contained a domestic settlement.
Deil’s Jingle: Sections of a N-S linear earthwork on the E side of the White Esk.
The Knowe: Archaeological site of a settlement.
S. Bailiehill: Archaeological site of Camp Hill Iron Age fort; to the SE are cultivation remains.
NE. Bank Head Hill: King Schaw’s Grave was originally a large cairn, in 1828 the stones were removed a cist with a skeleton discovered. Now only the cist remains.
N. Bessie’s Hill: Iron Age forts and settlement.
N. Castlehill (NW of): Archaeological site of a settlement.
S. Downey Hill: Archaeological site of a settlement.
W. Haw Birren: Archaeological site of a fort or settlement. To the W is a settlement and SE are site of a further settlement.
SW. Tanlawhill: Remains of Tanlawhill tower-house, buildings and enclosures. To the NW is the archaeological site of a fort.
Also see Bentpath, Craighousesteads, Eskdalemuir.
CAULKERBUSH and SOUTHWICK 84 : NX 9257 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 156)
Cushatgrove (1870s): Former school and gingerbread-style schoolhouse; now housing.
Mersehead RSPB Nature Reserve SSSI: Extensive wetlands, a salt marsh intertidal area. Visitor Centre, trails and hides.
Southwick Home Farm: Mid C19 dairy farm with cheese lofts, threshing barn and an iron mill-wheel with mill pond and lade. Opposite is an archaeological site of a motte.
Southwick House (c.1750): A substantially remodelled house (C19). Stables with clock tower. Polygonal lodge (1789) by the bridge.
WNW. Clonyard: An isolated hill farm retaining old farm buildings that include a horse engine shed.
E. Mainsriddle: A hamlet with a garden centre and a pottery. A
skeleton from a cist burial is now in
N. Slewcairn: Archaeological sites of two
W. Southwick Churchyard: Contains ruins of C12 or C13 old Southwick Kirk.
Also see Arbigland, Carsethorn, Colvend, Kirkbean, Rockcliffe, Sandyhills, Southerness.
CAUSEWAY END 83 : NX 4260 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 125)
Carsegowan: ICI Nobel built an explosives factory here in WW2 producing gunpowder; it closed in 1945-6 but many buildings remain. Traces of rail sidings & crossing.
Carsegowan Moss SWT & SSSI. Information board at CP.
Clachan of Penninghame: Old Penninghame graveyard with modern wrought iron entry gates, church remains and one war grave.
Wigtownshire Railway (1875-1964): Traces of trackbed and also the short lived Causewayend Station (1875-1885).
SSW. Auchleand: Wigtown Off Road Driving Centre.
S. Cairnhouse: Archaeological sites of two
NW. High Baltersan (W of): Archaeological site of a cairn.
SSE. St Ninian’s Bridge: Ancient well named after St Ninian; now sealed.
Also see Bladnoch,
CHALLOCH and PENNINGHAME 83 : NX 3867 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 100)
All Saints S.Ep Church (1871-2): Well sited Gothic church built as private chapel. Richly decorated interior with 1881 Harston organ (restored 1993).
All Saints Churchyard: Includes two war graves, under care of CWGC.
Castle Stewart (c.C16-C17): Ruin of 4-storey rectangular tower, also known as Calcruchie. Some repair work has been done.
Challoch Farm (C19): Mildly Tudor, L-plan farmhouse with castellated entrance.
Penninghame House (1869 & later): Baronial-Elizabethan mansion house with tower. Open prison until 2000, now a alternative healing centre.
Penninghame Pond: Set in the old Castle Stewart Estate, a restored 4 hectares man-made loch with an all abilities waymarked trail.
Skaith Mote: Archaeological site of a motte.
WSW. Loch Eldrig is a fishing venue.
NNW. St Ninian’s Chapel (1508): Only an ivy-covered E gable survives of a chapel built by John Kennedy of Blairquhan.
NW. Spectacle Loch: Roadside lochs with CP in the
CHAPELCROSS 85 : NY 2169 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 114)
Annan Airfield (site of): Traces of RAF WW2 airfield include runways. Chapelcross Power Station was built on part of the airfield; unused site is planned as a new industrial park.
Chapelcross Nuclear Power Station (1955-60): Built with 4 Magnox reactor/boilerhouse blocks & cooling towers. Decommissioning from 2004, towers demolished May 2007.
Chapelcross Coal/Wood Power Station: Planned electric generator to replace nuclear power. The wood being fast growing willow.
Corsehill Quarry (1880): A Permian sandstone quarry, closed 1956 but reopened 1981.
Solway Junction Railway: Remains of former railway. The trackbed carried the wastewater pipe from Chapelcross to the Solway.
South Camp: Site of RAF domestic camp for Annan Airfield, now used by a scrapyard.
Also see Annan, Brydekirk, Eaglesfield, Eastriggs, Ecclefechan, Evertown, Hoddom, Kirtlebridge, Kirkpatrick Fleming, Middlebie, Newbie.
CHAPEL FINIAN 82 : NX 2748 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 160)
Chapel Finian HS (C10-C11): Foundations of small chapel or oratory
on old raised beach. Possible landing place for Irish pilgrims at
Landing points (or ports) in the area, often used for smuggling
were Alticry, Changue, Chippermore, Corwall and
NW. Cairn Buy: Archaeological site of two
SE. Changue: Archaeological site of a settlement.
E. Chippermore: Archaeological sites in the area include
NNW. Garheugh: Archaeological sites in the area include
Also see Auchenmalg,
CHAPELKNOWE 85 : NY 3173 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 115)
Cadgill: Former manse for the rural parish of Half Morton.
Former UP Church (1890): Built in the Gothic style in red sandstone.
NNE. Bell’s Flow SSSI: Protected area of wetland.
NE. Milltown: Old burial ground (Sark Kirkyard) lies W of Tower
of Sark Farm with good collection of C18 graveslabs. Site of the old parish
SW. Raeburn Flow. See Kirkpatrick Fleming.
N. Solwaybank: Remote moorland location NW OF
Also see Canonbie,
CLACHANMORE 82 : NX 0846 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 158)
High Clachanmore: Archaeological site of an enclosure (slight remains)..
Also see Ardwell,
Cairngarroch, Kirkmadrine, Port Logan, Sandhead, Stoneykirk, Terally,
CLAREBRAND 84 : NX 7665 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 131)
Hamlet in the Parish of Crossmichael with antiquity sites in the area.
Burnbrae: Birthplace of Sam Wilson (1784), a
Carlochan Hill: Off the Balgerran road are remains of a round
cairn, visible for some distance, the largest in
Halferne Mote: Archaeological site of a small circular fort.
Mollance Farm: Ruins of Mollance House, a C18 country house burnt out 1912. Just NNW, archaeological remains of a dome shaped cairn.
Mote Hill (Clarebrand): Remains of an archaeological site of a fort.
Mote Hill (Halferne): Eranmbrie Mote is an archaeological site of a small fort.
W. Burnbrae: Birthplace of Sam Wilson (1784), a
CLARENCEFIELD 85 : NY 0968 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 112 & 137)
Estate village for
Brow Well: Restored well where the mortally ill Robert Burns tried to cure himself in 1796.
Ruthwell Station: Situated at Plans on the Carrutherstown road, the station closed 1965 but remains in good condition.
Cockpool: Site of Cockpool Castle (C14), seat of the
see Bankend, Carrutherstown, Collin, Cummertrees,
CLATTERINGSHAWS 77 : NX 5476 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 77)
Bruce’s Stone NTS: Stands on Moss Raploch to mark where King Robert the Bruce defeated the English in 1307.
Clatteringshaws Dam (1936): Largest dam on the GHES, a gravity structure 476m/1562ft long.
Clatteringshaws Dam Quarry SSSI: Protected geological area.
Clatteringshaws Loch GHES (1935): Created over the Black Water of Dee to feed Glenlee Power Station via a 3.5mi/5.6km tunnel.
Dee Bridges: Downstream from the dam and before the A712 bridge is the original
Galloway Hills around the loch area include Millfore (656m/2152ft) and Meikle Millyea (746m/2448ft).
Galloway Kite Trail: Route around Loch Ken (& Raiders Road April-Oct) with viewing/information areas. Signposted by a Red Kite symbol.
Raiders Road: Two-way forest drive from A712 (below dam) to A762 near Mossdale, via the Otter’s Pool.
SUW. The long distance path skirts the northern
NW. Craigencallie: Once a hunting lodge, now an outward-bound centre for D&G. CP for Loch Dee - a 1 hour walk.
W. Darnaw Hill (472m/1401ft): Memorial to the Daily Express ‘Dragon Fly’, which crashed in 1937 with the loss of 4 lives.
W. White Cairn: Burial
see Balmaclellan, Dalry,
CLOSEBURN 78 : NX 8992 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 41)
Closeburn Station: Closed 1961.
Parish Churchyard: Old church ruins (1741-1848), belfry with 1606 bell. Mausoleum. Fragments of memorials from C17. Two war graves (CWGC).
SE. Auchencairn Steading: Retains its all-iron 1830 overshot waterwheel.
N. Cample Mill: Early C19 woollen mill, now furniture sales.
N. Cample Water Viaduct (1850): Built by John Miller for the
NW. Dalgarnock: See Thornhill.
SSW. Dinning: Motte-and-bailey, formed in the C12 or early C13.
NW. Kirkland: A number of archaeological sites in the area of earthworks and enclosures.
SE. Shotts: Garroch waterpower system with waterpower smithy powered from Heathery Dam.
Also see Auldgirth, Carronbridge, Dalswinton, Drumlanrig,
Ellisland, Gatelawbridge, Glenmidge, Keir Mill,
COLLIN 84 : NY 0275 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 85)
Braehead Farm: Retains a horse engine shed, now used for storage.
Drumbreg Farm: Retains a detached horse engine shed building in some disrepair.
SE. Drummuir Farm: A popular dairy ice cream maker.
S. Racks Station: Known for its well tendered grass slopes and flower borders, the station unfortunately closed in 1965.
ESE. Rockhall (C16): Originally a tower or lairds house with C17 (and later) modifications/changes. Became a hotel mid 1960s but recently converted back to a house.
E. Rockhallhead: Site of a settlement and Rokele Chapel although no traces now exist.
E. Rockhall Moor: Archaeological sites in the area include a
ENE. Rockhall Mote: Archaeological site of a Norman motte-and-bailey.
NNW. Roucan Loch: See Torthorwald.
see Amisfield, Cargenbridge, Carrutherstown, Clarencefield,
COLVEND 84 : NX 8654 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 155
Small community with hall (1933), and school (1875) lying to the south of White Loch.
Colvend Golf Club: See Sandyhills.
Portling: A small hamlet with painted houses and jetty. Coastguard Rescue Station.
NNW. Barean Loch: Contains site of a crannog.
Also see Caulkerbush, Dalbeattie, Kippford, Rockcliffe, Sandyhills.
CORRAFECKLOCH 76 : NX 3280 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 73)
Area of GFP NW of Bargrennan. Hills to N include Corrafeckloch Hill (310m/1017ft), Garwall Hill (319m/1047ft) and Highlandman’s Rig (288m/945ft).
Cairn Kinna: Archaeological site with two
Glengruboch Moor: Archaeological site of hut circle and field system.
NNE. Highlandman’s Rig: Archaeological site of Sheuchan’s Cairn (C3 BC), a round cairn with chamber and entry passage.
Also see Bargrennan, Galloway Forest Park, Glentrool Village, Kirriereoch.
CORRIE COMMON 79 : NY 2085 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 65-66)
A hamlet of
N. Carterton: Archaeological sites in the area include a fort (defended settlement), burnt mounds and several enclosures.
SW. Craighouse: Archaeological site of a settlement.
W. Cumstone Farm: Quad bike countryside trails and Go-cart track.
WSW. Hencastle Rig: Archaeological site of a fort or settlement.
SSE. Pyatshaw Rig: Archaeological sites of an earthwork, enclosures and settlements.
Also see Bankshill,
CORRIEDOO 77 : NX 6882 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 57)
Corriedoo (or Corriedow): White Cairn is an archaeological site of the remains of a large Bronze Age round cairn.
E. Loch Howie: Remote loch situated within Corridoo Forest, overlooked by Corridoo Hill and Wallace’s Rig.
Also see Balmaclellan, Castlefairn, Dalry, Glenlee, Lochinvar, New Galloway.
CORSEBANK 71/78: NS 8016 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 3)
Location on the Crawick Water; the accompanying road traverses
the Lowther Hills toward Crawfordjohn (
Muirkirk & North Lowther Uplands SPA & SSSI: West of the road is a protected area of uplands and heath. Also see Blackgannoch.
Corsebank: A level-top mound marks the site of Castle Robert.
ENE. Glenrae Burn: Site of
Also see Lowther Hills, Sanquhar.
CORSEWALL POINT 76/82 : NW 9872 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 93)
Situated at the rocky northwestern tip of The Rhins. SSSI. The name derived from ‘Cross Well’, an ancient well site (a natural spring) dedicated to St Columba.
Corsewall Point to Milleur SSSI: Coastal geological protected area. Also see Portencalzie.
Drangan: E of Bloody Rock are remains of a WW2 RAF radio station, in operation 1940-45. Also see Ervie.
Dunskirloch: Archaeological site of a fort.
Lighthouse (1817): A white 26.2m/86ft high Robert Stevenson tower. Copper-dome light-room has 12 powerful reflectors. It survived minor bomb damage in 1941.
Lighthouse keeper’s houses: Two-storey high, now sensitively converted to a hotel.
West Galloway Wildlife Trail information board and CP.
Also see Ervie, Kirkcolm, Portencalzie.
CORSOCK 84 : NX 7576 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 80)
Corsock House (Early C19 & 1853): Baronial with later extensions. Main gates has an unusual cruciform rotating pedestrian gate. W is Corsock Loch.
Kirklyn (1838-9): Built as chapel of ease on E bank of Urr, now a house.
Kirklebride: See Areeming below.
Parish Churchyard: Contains 3 war graves, under care of CWGC.
SE. Areeming (NW of): Archaeological remains of a burial ground. Supposed site of the ancient chapel of St Bridget of Kirklebride, of which there is no trace.
SE. Arkland. See Knockvennie.
NW. Auchenvey: Archaeological site of a cairn.
E. Drumhumphry Hill: Archaeological sites of hut circles.
NE. Knocklearn: Archaeological site of a settlement on N slopes of Gorry Hill.
WSW. Mochrum Fell. See Knockvennie.
SSE. Upper Corsock: Slight remains of a tower house called the old Castle of Corsock or Upper Corsock.
Also see Bread and
Beer, Crocketford, Kirkpatrick Durham, Knockvennie,
COURANCE 78 : NY 0590 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 44)
Carrick Hill: Extant surface features of a ROC underground monitoring post (1964-91).
Courance House (mid C19): Laird’s house. The Estate Office is based in the former school.
Maggiemauts Knowe: Archaeological site of fort.
SE. Cars Wood: Archaeological site of a fort.
SE. Ross Mains (1728): Small mansion house built for the 3rd Duke of Queensberry.
NW. The Knock: Turf covered foundations of the hamlet of Knock, abandoned in the C18.
WNW. Wallace’s House: Archaeological site of a fort.
Also see Ae, Beattock, Johnstonebridge, Lochmaben, Lochwood, Millhousebridge, Parkgate, St Ann’s, Shieldhill, Templand.
CRAIGHOUSESTEADS 79 : NY 2385 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 66)
Rural location near Whitcastles on the Paddockhole-Bailehill road.
Craighousesteads Hill: Archaeological site of a fort or settlement.
Newland Hill: Archaeological sites of enclosures, a fort and a settlement.
Whitcastles: Forest walks, cycle trails & picnic site. Archaeological sites in the area include a settlement and enclosures.
NNW. Little Hartfell: A ruined large stone circle with 9 fallen (or uncompleted) massive granite stones.
ESE. Mid Hill: During WW2 this area was a military training site. Archaeological sites of a defended settlement and burnt mound.
SE. Paddockhole: Locality and bridge on the Water of Milk. W is the large Grange Quarry works. NE on Newhall Hill are archaeological sites of enclosures and remains of a cairn.
Also see Bankshill,
Castle O’er, Corrie Common,
CRAMMAG HEAD 82 : NX 0834 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 168)
Barncorkrie: Archaeological site a hut circle.
Cairn Fell: Archaeological site of Cairn More.
Crammag Fort: Iron Age dun on a sea-girt promontory site. Nearby is a ruin of a round enclosure, probably a broach.
Crammag Head Lighthouse (1913): Built by David A and Charles Stevenson.
Knockenculie: Good coastal views from the road in the Portencorkrie area.
SE. Eagle Cairn: Archaeological site of slight remains of a cairn.
Also see Drummore, Mull of Galloway, Port Logan, Terally.
CREETOWN 83 : NX 4758 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 126)
Planned village from 1785. Popularity came in C19 with the opening of the Kirkmabreck granite quarry. Now bypassed by the A75 on the shores of the Cree Estuary (SSSI).
Balloch Wood Community Project (2004): CP, wildlife ponds, ‘Creehenge’, and ‘Creebaby’ (metal sculpture). Waymarked trails in the Forest Commission’s woods.
Barholm Mains Open Farm.
Cassencarie House (C16): largely ruinous complex building originally a tower, extended, baronialised, now a disused backdrop of ‘Castle Cary’ Holiday Park.
Clock Tower (1897): Battlemented granite tower commemorates Queen
Ellangowan Hotel (1898): Granite building with English A&C balconied veranda. Associated with the 1973 film “The Wicker Man”.
Grimshaw Terrace: Has curious English seaside terrace of stucco-fronted houses, now much altered.
Hill of Burn (1811): Smart late Georgian villa with an earlier back wing. Interior is mostly Edwardian.
Kirkmabreck Parish Churchyard: Contains two war graves, under care of the CWGC.
Railway: Traces of old ‘Port Line’ (1861-1965). The original distinctive polygonal masonry and red sandstone station (N) is now a private house.
White Cairn: Archaeological site of a sub-circular cairn.
ENE. Pibble Mine: See Gatehouse Station
NNW. Spittal: Probable site of ‘Crithe’, a small hospital, one of the possessions of Dundrennan Abbey.
Also see Carsluith, Gatehouse Station, Glenquicken Moor,
CROCKETFORD 84 : NX 8372 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 107)
Founded 1787 by a religious sect, known as the Buchanites. Ninemilebar Toll-house (C18) is a prominent feature.
Auchenreoch Loch: Fishing and water-sports loch.
Brooklands Lodge (c.1830): Simple Gothic style with blind arrowslits. Across the road is a basic battlemented screen wall.
Crocketford Hill: Archaeological site of a sub-circular homestead with a causewayed entrance.
W. Brooklands (c.1830): Villa enlarged in c.1900. Walled garden.
W. Brooklands Glen: Short picturesque tree glen on the
NW. Bad’s Knowe:
SSE. Meikle Kirkland (E of): Site of St Constantine’s Church which was believed to have been burnt down after the Reformation.
SE. Milton Loch: See Milton (Crocketford).
see Corsock, Glenkiln, Haugh of Urr, Kirkgunzeon, Kirkpatrick Durham,
Knockvennie, Lochfoot, Milton (Crocketford),
CROSSMICHAEL 83/84 : NX 7366 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 106)
Situated on E side of lower Loch Ken (or River Dee) with a marina. The village once had a cross around which was held the Michaelmas Fair.
Galloway Kite Trail: Circular route around Loch Ken with viewing/information areas. Signposted by a Red Kite symbol.
Culgruff House (1889): Built as a wedding present by Robert Stewart. Baronial style with Jacobean interior.
Crofts Mote: Remains of a hill-fort or encampment with good views.
Parish Churchyard: Spectacular enriched Gordon monument (1757). Covenanter’s gravestone. Three war graves. A table stone has an acrostic epitaph to Rev Andrew Dick.
Railway (1861-1965): Traces of ‘Port Line’ trackbed and station. The platforms and building are now a private residence. Remains of signal box and sidings.
NE. Loch Roan: Fishing
CRUGGLETON 83 : NX 4742 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 163)
S. Dinnans (
Also see Garlieston, Glasserton, Isle of Whithorn, Ravenstone, Sorbie, Whithorn.
CULMALZIE 83 : NX 3753 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 147)
Doon Hill: Archaeological site of a fort.
SE. Barvernochan: Archaeological site of a standing stone, almost 1.2m/4ft high.
WSW. Clantibuies: Disused quadrant observation tower situated on the W side of the Flow of Arriequhillart. The base of a direction arrow can be seen nearby.
WSW. Corsemalzie House: A C19 Tudor villa.
NNW. Crouse: White Cairn is an archaeological site of a cairn and a hole stone. E is the site of a chapel, burial ground & well.
WNW. Dounan Moor: Archaeological site of a depopulated village in
see Bladnoch, Culshabbin, Elrig, Kirkcowan, Kirkinner,
CULSHABBIN 82 : NX 3050 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 146)
Brae Moor: Archaeological sites of 4
Court Cairn: Archaeological site of a cairn. A further cairn lays SW of Court Cairn, and possibly a site of another cairn to the W.
The May: The top of a cross slab is built into the side wall of an outbuilding.
Mochrum Fell (197m/646ft): Archaeological site of a large cairn.
NE. Crailloch Mote: Archaeological site of a motte with settlement remains, nearby are slight remains of a chapel.
NNW. Drumwhirn: Archaeological site of a cairn.
NNE. Fell Loch: Slight remains of a causeway from the eastern
shore lead out to
N. Mochrum Lochs SSSI: Protected area of blanket bog including
Mochrum, Black, and Castle Lochs. Home of the largest inland breeding colony of
N. Mochrum Loch: Has several small islands and islets,
Also see Auchenmalg,
Chapel Finian, Culmalzie, Drumtroddan, Elrig, Mindork,
CUMMERTREES 85 : NY 1366 (Philip’s D&G Street Atlas 112 & 137)
Village somewhat split by the Carlisle-Dumfries railway, the older part with C19 cottages. The station closed 1955. SW is a possible site of a Roman camp.
Hannah Lodge (c.1900): One of Kinmount’s two S lodges, Hannah Lodge has wooden verandahs, lodge stands beside elaborate wrought-iron gates.
Hitchell Farm: The barn retains it doocot flight holes.
Hitchill Lodge (c.1900): One of Kinmount’s two S lodges, Hitchill Lodge (like Hannah Lodge) has wooden verandahs, lodge stands beside elaborate wrought-iron gates.
Queensberry Terrace (c.1900): Fifteen tall terraced houses built
ROC Monitoring Post (1966-91): Extant surface features of an underground post, also possible remains of light anti-aircraft emplacement.
N. Kinmount Estate: Notable buildings include Aviary, Jacobean Renaissance bath house, motor house, stables (now housing). Queensbury House: see below.
N. Kinmount House (1812-18 & 1899): Greek revival ‘Graeco-Cubist’ architecture by Robert Smirke. The baroque style created in 1899.
N. Kinmount E Lodge (Early c19): In the N gable, a round-arched heraldic panel of the Marquesses of Queensberry. Gatepiers (1815) with massive inner piers.
NNW. Kinmount W Lodge: Unusual half-timbered Edwardian lodge with octagonal stair-tower to a Tudor-arched pend over the main drive.
NNW. Queensbury House (1815): Simple extended cottage with
mounded surrounds &
Also see Annan, Brydekirk, Carrutherstown, Clarencefield, Dalton, Eastriggs, Hoddom, Newbie, Powfoot, Ruthwell.